Another Interesting Change Find!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mkm5, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Stopped by the local market to pick up a few things today, got a $2 bill back in change, I don't think I've ever seen one in circulation before! IMG_20240225_234037970~2.jpg

The young lady attending the register didn't even seem to think it was anything unusual, "Here's your change", she said!

PamR, -jeffB, alurid and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Was she good looking?
    Maybe she was hitting on you.:D
    $2 bills are said to have a suggestive history :p

Mkm5 likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Somewhere, a young lady is posting "Some loser insisted on paying with a $2 bill, and I had to take it, but then I gave it back in change to this other guy and he never even said a word, I'm not sure he even noticed!"

Kevin Mader, PamR and Mkm5 like this.
  5. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Interesting!

6. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Keep it in your wallet for good luck, the year is still young.

Kevin Mader and Mkm5 like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The jewelry store near my house gets them from their bank and hands them back in change daily. They are all new and uncirculated and he had them in serial number sequence.

Mkm5 and PamR like this.
  8. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

A friend of mine buys them by the brick to use for a change in his bars. I occasionally will get a hundred pack of them. It's fun to use them in transactions. Cashier's either love them or hate them. I had one lady want to buy all that I had because she likes to give them to her grandkids.

Mkm5 and Collecting Nut like this.
  9. Collecting Nut

The looks on a young cashiers face are priceless. You feel you just gave them the first $2.00 bill they’ve ever seen.

Mkm5 and Jeffjay like this.
  10. Jeffjay

I actually had a young cashier check three of them with an anti-counter fit pen.

rte, Collecting Nut and Mkm5 like this.
  11. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the self checkout registers would accept a $2 bill?

Collecting Nut likes this.
  12. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

I remember a story about a guy who nearly got arrested after trying to make a purchase at a Best Buy store using $2 bills. Both the cashier and the police had never seen one before and assumed they were counterfeit!

Collecting Nut likes this.
  13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Spend it - keep it circulating.

Mkm5 likes this.
  14. Jeffjay

Happened to a young girl at a school in Texas trying to pay for her lunch with one. They actually called the police.

Mkm5 likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

I have heard stories like that before. Never happened to me. Very sad that so many folks don’t know about them and the government they support still produces and tries to circulate them.

Mkm5 likes this.
  16. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

During the summer of 1976, I had one of these $2.00 bills. I was in elementary school then. I got one for my birthday. My siblings and I walked to the local McDonald's and I was able to buy a cheeseburger, fries and a drink (Rootbeer) with it, and still got change back. The interesting thing was, years later I had come across another $2 bill and it was a 1976. Because I had remember back in 1976 going to McDonald's with my $2 dollar bill, I thought that the $2 bill's were only produced in 1976 like the bicentennial quarters were. It wasn't until many years later than that, I learned that the $2 dollar bill had been printed for more years than just in 1976.

McDonalds.JPG

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    Mkm5, eddiespin, -jeffB and 1 other person like this.
  17. -jeffB

Ah, 1970...

VistaCruiser69, Mkm5 and eddiespin like this.
  18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I've spent them, never once received one.

Mkm5 likes this.
  19. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Nothing like those French fries deep fried in beef tallow!

If I remember correctly, a hamburger used to be 10-15 cents, same for the fries!

I'd still like to stop by there once in a while, but I remember how disappointing the food and prices are compared to the good old days.

Oh yeah, the McDonald's here is hiring, $23/hour...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  20. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

I used to babysit for some neighbors back in the early 70s. Always got paid in Kennedy half dollars or $2 bills from one of the moms.

The Kennedy's were almost always 40%rs, and I saved up a whole bunch of them and cashed them in during the Hunt brothers silver run-up. Good times!

21. -jeffB

That, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call "doing it right". :)

I slept through the Hunt brothers run-up; if I'd sold some of my junkier childhood silver at that time, I don't really think I'd be regretting it today.

Mkm5 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted