Ancient Forum's Picture the Poster

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Jun 25, 2016.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I'm sure many of us are curious as to who we really talk to on here, and while some know who some others look like, there is still quite a bit of anonymity among us; otherwise, we wouldn't really be curious about how our fellow posters look like.

Rules for this thread:

1. Post any ancient or medieval coin to go along with your photo of yourself.

2. No saying you don't want to/would rather not/etc. post your photo. If you don't want to, please just simply don't. No need to announce it. Also, no "I'll post mine if (someone else) post's their photo" kind of posts as well. If you don't share your photo you may still comment regardless, just avoid doing the above.

3. No photos where your face is obscured, hidden (like with a mask, for example), or otherwise very difficult to see. Also, no posting of something completely different and saying it is you (like a pet or a celebrity).

4. If you say you will share yourself, please follow through; don't leave us hanging. You don't have to post your photo right away, but please deliver eventually (not like after a month or a year, though).

5. If you are a minor, first ask your parent's permission to participate. I am not looking to get myself, anyone else, or Cointalk in any serious trouble.

Ok so here I am. Took a quick photo with my laptop's webcam. I think I could pass off as a Goth or another barbarian, don't you think? :D

[​IMG]

A new acquisition :)

[​IMG]

Galla Placidia, Western Roman Empire
    AE nummus
    Obv: D N GALLA PLA-CIDIA P F AVG, female, pearl-diademed bust right, wearing necklace and earrings
    Rev: SALVS REI-PVBLICE around cross, T in left field
    Mint: Rome; Mintmark: RM in ex
    Ref: RIC X 2111

[​IMG]

My Umayyad dirham of Caliph Yazid II, struck in Wasit, Iraq in 720-721 AD (I still need to make up a proper attribution).

[​IMG]

Louis the Pious, Carolingian Empire
    AR Denier
    Obv: + HLVDOVVICVS IMP, legend around cross in circle
    Rev: + METALLVM, legend around cross in circle
    Mint: Metallum (struck 816-819 AD)
    Ref: MEC 762

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    Hrefn, Edessa, +VGO.DVCKS and 36 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Awesome facial hair, great idea for a thread. Also you look like you could pass for a Sassanid

4. noname

noname Well-Known Member

IMG_20160624_223045.JPG 1459312714090.jpg 1459312844642.jpg IMG_20160618_122142.jpg Looking particularly sickly today, acne on nose probably due to puberty! Yay...
    And for no darn (yes I know moderators) reason, here are some...stuff... I took a picture of. Found it on my camera roll, and I thought why the heck not? Might attract the focus away from my ugliness :) I'm really restraining myself not using words coin talk might get mad about.

5. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

It's late and I'm fried from spending 12+ hours debugging a big code change but here's me:
    IMG_20160624_231134.jpg

A couple of my favorite coins:
    Cr44.7combined.JPG
    Cr. 44/7 AR sestertius. This is a type that is easily found in lower grades or with significant metal problems(usually crystallization) or they are so off center as to lose the "IIS". In fact there are several on Vcoins right now, but finding one like this takes a lot of patience. The stars aligned and I managed to catch this one on Vcoins at a surprisingly affordable price so I snatched it up right at the end of 2015 as a late Christmas present to myself.

Cr137.6combined.JPG
    Cr. 137/6 second crescent seies sextans. Not the nicest example out there, but average for the type and with great provenance(Ex. RBW & Ex. Goodman, CNG 45) and I have a bit of information about the find context, which I can only say about a handful of my coins.

54430combined.JPG
    An Antony Legion XV(V faint due to worn dies) denarius. A budget example in some respects but everything is there and relatively well-centered and the banker's marks don't detract much, so it was the perfect example for my budget.

6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

No, I'm not a black cat. o_O

My selfie.

IMG_0061.JPG

A Titus selfie.

V1440A.jpg

Titus as Caesar
    AR Denarius
    Ephesus mint, 71 AD
    RIC V1440A, BMC V467 var., RSC 39 var., RPC 843 var.
    Obv: IMPERATOR T CAESAR AVGVSTI E (sic); Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: CONCORDIA AVG; Ceres std. l., on ornate high-backed chair, with corn ears and poppy and cornucopiae; in exergue, EPHE
    Ex Gemini X, 13 January 2013, Harry N Sneh Collection, lot 742. Acquired from Ponterio, c. 2003.

An interesting error variant that has been assigned its own RIC entry in the Addenda.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2016
  7. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I'll bite:

Here is a picture of the person who @stevex6 referred to as a "shady lawyer" who "looks like the kind who needs an attorney himself." ;) No hard feelings my fellow coin bro!

You've seen me in black and white, so here's a color photograph of everyone's favorite Cuban-American ancient coin collector :cool:

Sallent.jpg

and here is a picture of my latest purchase:

AC59067.jpg

BONUS MATERIAL

I don't know how many of you read Portuguese, but here is a legal article on foreclosure defense that I wrote for a Portuguese publication's legal column. Knowing several languages comes in handy in a multicultural place like Miami.

http://gazetanews.com/comprar-uma-casa-sonho-americano-ou-pesadelo-americano-direitos-deveres/

I've also written legal articles in Spanish and English for several newspapers and online legal publications. Perhaps I'll share some of them eventually.

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Eh, why not?
    20160625_010418.jpg

ptolemy.jpg
    Ptolemy II
    AR Tetradrachm
    285-246 BC
    Head of Ptolemy I R wearing Aegis
    Eagle standing L on thunderbolt

+VGO.DVCKS, Stevearino, Ryro and 25 others like this.
  10. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Great thread V.K. (No-one is who/how I imagined them to be.)
    Here am I with two of my other 'passions'. (My first 'passion' is my wife.)
    Magical Snap - 2016.06.25 18.56 - 007.jpg Sports Coupe 1.jpg

Oh, and here is my coin, (not posted previously)

Constans II (aka Constantine IV)

CONSTANS II Constantinople Sear 1000 (O).jpg CONSTANS II Constantinople Sear 1000 (R).jpg

+VGO.DVCKS, Ryro, Curtisimo and 26 others like this.
  11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

This is fun. I'm on my tablet right now but wanted to say "I'll play" and so I'll get the reminder alert later. I've shown myself before on the board but many of you may have missed it (Rome and Ireland trips).

12. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

+VGO.DVCKS and GregH like this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  14. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Here is a pic from a few months ago of me at University.
    image.jpeg
    No facial hair here, see @ValiantKnight I'm actually a civilized Roman!:);)

As for coins, well these two hold a special place in my heart.
    image.jpeg
    337-355 CE
    Pre-reform Siliqua
    Rev: VOTIS / XXX / MVLTIS / XXXX within wreath.
    Constantinople mint .
    Slight cabinet tone with super detail and metal
    RIC 102
    3.11g
    21mm
    If I was the reincarnation of an Emperor it would have to be this guy; paranoid, ruthless, cold, and calculating.

And of course
    image.jpeg
    Magnus Maximus AR Siliqua
    Trier mint
    Struck early in Maximus's reign, most likely 384.
    2.05 Grams
    Also, I am the proud new owner of a Yugo M48 Mauser. My first and only firearm that I think I will ever buy.
    image.jpeg
    I appropriately named it Andragathius;)

+VGO.DVCKS, Ryro, Curtisimo and 24 others like this.
  15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

@Magnus Maximus Is the Mauser in good working order? Those are a lot of fun to shoot, and I guarantee you that if you take it out for a whirl, it won't be the last firearm you buy. Shooting is as addicting as coin collecting. Me...

me.jpg

Some coins and my latest pea-shooter, S&W Shield 9...

007.JPG

+VGO.DVCKS, Ryro, galba68 and 23 others like this.
  16. Magnus Maximus

@John Anthony
    Yes! The bore and stock are in excellent condition. Funny thing about the M48's is that they were not used in any real combat; they were built as a stop gap weapon until the SKS and AK-47 could be shipped to Yugoslavia in sufficient numbers. So most M48's in the states are high grade military surplus.

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Here's one of me from my Stonehenge trip about 6 weeks ago:
    Stonehenge smaller.jpg

Oops, I forgot a coin!

[​IMG]
    Octavian, 27 BC - AD 14
    AE32, 16g, 6h; Colonia Celsa.
    Obv.: II VIR COL V I CELSA; bare head of Octavian right.
    Rev.: Bull right; L.POMPE.BVCCO above, L.CORNE.FRONT (moneyers).

john65999, +VGO.DVCKS, Ryro and 22 others like this.
  18. Sallent

You call that coin protection? Check out my coin protection. (PS: I'm pretty sure your full arsenal beats my modest gun collection)

Guns.jpg

My favorite one is obviously the Winchester 30-30 Centennial, manufactured in 1966 (the gun furthest right. My second favorite is my Zastava AK-47, of Serbian manufacture (furthest gun to the left).

And here's another shot of me to keep it legal. You've all seen this one already.

untitled.png

And here is another coin picture to also keep it legal

Trajan Mars denarius.jpg

john65999, Ryro, galba68 and 15 others like this.
  19. Magnus Maximus

Nice Trajan denarius! I need to upgrade mine sometime this summer.

I really like the SKS too.
    But you can't beat a Mauser!:D;)

And here is a coin so the goth doesn't get angry:p.
    image.jpeg
    Justinian I AR Siliqua
    1.33 grams
    533-540 CE

20. Sallent

@Magnus Maximus
    I like Yugoslavian guns. My SKS was made there in the late 50's, and my AK-47 was designed for use by the Yugoslavian army in the 60's.

Not pictured in my image above:
    I also have a black powder Kentucky rifle, a Ruger SP101 357 magnum revolver, a Smith & Wesson Model 64 .38 special revolver (former police issue), a Ruger MKIII .22LR pistol, a Beretta Cheetah .380 cal pistol, a Walther PPK .380 pistol, and a Smith & Wesson MP 9 Shield 9mm pistol.

I used to be a gun collector. These days I don't actively collect them, but I do still enjoy going shooting at the local range. :D

And another coin picture to keep it legal...ish! Caracala denarius with Serapis on the reverse.
    Caracalla Serapis denarius.jpg

21. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

This pic is several months old.

[​IMG]

My favorite Lucilla in my sub collection of hers.

[​IMG]
    Lucilla (162 - 182 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F, Draped bust right.
    R: CONCORDIA, Concordia standing facing, head left, holding patera and double cornucopiae.
    Rome Mint
    19mm
    3.27g
    RIC III 760.

Ex. Cabinet Numismatique, Genève.

Ryro, galba68, Deacon Ray and 21 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted