54,000 Posts Celebration-A Beautiful Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Collecting Nut, Nov 12, 2023.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

This is a beautiful error to have. I was very surprised to receive it. I bought an auction lot about 2 or 3 months ago but due to packing and moving 3 places I didn’t open the package when it arrived.
    The lot was labeled Silver Coins, which it is with one exception, this error coin. Below is the lot that I purchased at an online auction and I managed to get it about 5% below spot. That was a surprise in itself.
    But then I noticed one Copper coin.
    50433FC0-345E-4957-ABE8-5412D1682D80.jpeg 819E566F-91D5-4504-8CF8-140BEF11D2D2.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

I saw the obverse and though it was still a buy as it’s an 1847 Large Cent. Then I looked at the reverse and it’s a good thing I was sitting down when I did. My eyes were immediately drawn to the 3:00 o’clock area. It’s not large but it’s definitely there, a beautiful retained lamination error on a Large Cent.
    Needless to say, I am thrilled. I get envious every time @paddyman98 shows his and now I have one of my own. Please post yours again Paddy. It’s a great error and these are hard to get.
    0A566C76-2267-47BF-B1F6-F6D76390BB5E.jpeg 684D65FE-4835-455C-BF63-6CB27A3BBF5F.jpeg

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Congratulations CN

Collecting Nut likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Thanks Paddy. I love that error as it’s a long retained lamination. Mine is small but it’s there. :):sorry:

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

I’ve never noticed it beforePaddy but is that a small die crack or dirt that looks like a die crack from the rim to the 0 in the date?

8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

9. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Congrats CN.

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Wow, that’s an old one! Nice!

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No.

Here is the same coin attributed by NGC. Without the paper :woot:
    lam1.JPG

The laminations on the reverse are very small. I didn't even notice them when I sent off the Cent.

12. ryanroscheck

ryanroscheck Active Member

Awesome coin!

13. Collecting Nut

Thank you

14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Great bonus coin. I saw the lamination and thought, "nahhh, it's PMD" at first, until I saw your later pics. Considering how much it has peeled, it's kind of surprising that it stayed on there for over a century and a half!

Collecting Nut and eddiespin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted