GTG $5 Liberty Head gold...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dougmeister, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I already know the answer, but...

... for the sake of others who, like me, may not be up to speed on such things...

1) Real or fake
    2) If real, what grade?
    3) If fake, why?

1.jpg 2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Fake, surfaces look weird. Most likely cast.

Legomaster1 and Santinidollar like this.
  4. Jmis

Jmis Active Member

Fake, details look weak.

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Sadly I have to say "fake." There is big patch of roughness on the reverese in the area of "D STA" that should not be there. It's not die rust or post mint damage. Genuine coins from the turn of last century don't have that.

Check out this one from the same era.

1903 Half eagle O.jpg 1903 Half eagle R.jpg

Legomaster1 likes this.
  6. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

Why not, I'll play along even though I'm far from an expert. I'm going with fake.

The first thing that caught my attention was the dull flat sheen like play-doh.

Second, it looks like it's in a 2x2 flip, would anyone actually put a gold coin in a cardboard flip?

7. Dougmeister

Ever been to any big coin shows? Gold coins in cardboard flips all over the place.

They can't ALL be fake ;-)

8. johnmilton

Yes, they do it, but that is a good reason to get your guard up. As the previous poster said, not all coins in 2X2s and flips are bad, but if it is a coin of some value, you sometimes wonder why it is not certified.

Years ago NGC used to certify gold coins that were worth less than $400 or $500 for $15. I don't know that they will do that any more, but if there are simliar deals out there, it should make you think before you buy raw US gold coins.

Legomaster1 likes this.
  9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

The NGC fee for grading common gold is $30 per coin minimum. They get a minimum of $35 each for gold dollars, all quarter eagles and for Indian half eagles.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    -jeffB likes this.
  10. johnmilton

Oh well. So much for cheap slabbing. Add to that the postage both ways, which has really gotten expensive, and it’s not viable for many gold coins with low mark-ups.

11. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

I agree- counterfeit coin. Colour is off, ridges are off (additional circle around them), and details are not prominent. I hope you didn't pay too much for this coin.

12. Dougmeister

I spoke with the dealer today and, although he stands by the authenticity, he also guarantees all purchases and will refund my money.

Legomaster1 likes this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

To me, it looks like it is just a really late die state.

14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I don’t like the surfaces. I think it might be an older Middle East fake that’s real gold too

15. Dougmeister

FWIW, I took it to 2 different LCS today and they both said it was definitely real. One of them has been in the business for 40+ years, the other for 20+ years and learned the business from his father.

I don't know what to think.

Bottom line, I'm returning it because if it causes this much confusion *now*, I'd hate to be there when I (or my descendants) go to sell it...

Legomaster1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted