3 new coins came in today, I just need help authenticating them to make sure they're real, thank you

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Kristos, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Kristos

Kristos Active Member

I just need help authenticating these coins I bought, thank you

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

If they happen to be genuine, I shall be the first member to congratulate you. Hope you bought them from a certified dealer. Historical coins indeed. I always feel suspicious.

Kristos likes this.
  4. Kristos

Kristos Active Member

Thank you, I hope they are but the condition of them is why I'm skeptical

Stuwii likes this.
  5. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Here are the original listings and sellers' photos:
    This seller, firefakir, is published on Warren Esty's fakeseller list with comment "numerous doubtful coins over a long time and, specifically, a fake Hadrian AEGYPTOS August 2015. Private listings. Many of his coins look good, but most look soft and some have casting seams".

Personally, I'm suspicious of all 3 of these coins. The style of the Caligula looks strange to me when compared with similar coins sold by reputable sellers, especially the portrait(but I am not well versed in these types so maybe it's perfectly fine). The Hadrian looks like it might have a casting seam and the Germanicus looks like it might have had one ground off. All 3 coins have strange looking surfaces that I'm not a fan of.

I don't mean this as an insult, but your posts show that you don't have the experience to be buying from random sellers on eBay. You should be buying coins from better sources like Vcoins sellers or some of the bigger auction houses so you don't have to come here and find out they're fake after the fact and you need to handle actual authentic coins to learn to authenticate them for yourself.

Smojo, Carausius, carpman98 and 3 others like this.
  6. Stuwii

Stuwii Member

Same here am afraid. Far too good looking for ancients. I had to send back two similar coins last week.
    A Nero and a Claudius dupondius. Both fakes.
    They where listed on this site below as forgerys. You might want to have a look over it.

I only own a few Roman coins. 5 i think mostly silvers. I am very very wary now of buying any AR coins off Ebay. I got refunded immediately when i kicked up a fuss.

https://numismaticfakes.wordpress.com/2016/05/08/letting-the-market-decide/#more-2112

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Kristos likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have my doubts about them all. Having looked at authentic coins listed and fakes on the fake boards, I wouldn't be comfortable buying any of the three. And, as @red_spork said, the dealer is known for selling fakes. I would run, not walk, if I were you.

8. Kristos

Kristos Active Member

Wow those coins look very real thanks for the link

Stuwii likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

If you read into the Sellers NAME, it says it all with "fakir" couched within it...

Felisin and Kristos like this.
  10. Kristos

Kristos Active Member

Well this is how I learn, I now know about v coins thanks

7Calbrey likes this.
  11. Stuwii

Stuwii Member

My seller was not on the list unfortunately. Yes the patina on the Nero was convincing. Apparently they use ancient worn planchets to create the coins also making them look convincing. It was only once i took delivery of them i spotted them immediately as fake.

12. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

I'll just note for the record that for instance the Germanicus "sestertius" would, if genuine, be a dupondius. It would bring upward of 5000 euro in a legitimate auction. How likely is it really that it can be found on Ebay for 103.50 euro?

Note also that this dealer doesn't even pretend to guarantee that these are authentic Roman coins. His "guarantee" promises only that you get the exact objects pictured. How generous of him.

Return these immediately if you still can.

13. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with this observation. Especially for the Caligula and Hadrian (two rulers whose portrait style is fairly familiar to me), the portraits just don't look like any other coins I've ever seen.

While I'd like to be wrong about this, I'd be stunned if any of these three coins were genuine.

Carausius, red_spork and Kristos like this.
  14. Kristos

Kristos Active Member

See that was why I was also skeptical, but it was by pure luck is why I kinda wanted to believe, the seller only had those coins on auction for 5 hours, hardly the time for many bidders to even know it was up for sale. It's usually when they're up for 9 days or so the bids get high because more people know of them, 5 hours and the auction was done. It's why and only why I think there's a possibility they're real, but that's why I'm asking , not too sure

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  15. Kristos

Kristos Active Member

So how do I find out? I mean I'd hate to send them back and they're real

16. Kristos

Kristos Active Member

But Yea the more I look at them the more they're too perfectly

17. Stuwii

Stuwii Member

Don't hesitate. Send them back. There definitely not Genuine.

18. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

There are coins out there that are absolutely authentic and as close to perfect as ancient coins come(and @IdesOfMarch01 and @Volodya own some of them) so that alone is not a great reason to be suspicious of a coin. There are other reasons to be suspicious of these.

Carausius and Kristos like this.
  19. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

There's no easy, inexpensive way to find out if they're real. Authentication by an expert would cost more than they're worth.

Send them back immediately and move on to VCoins for your collecting interests. It may be more expensive but the likelihood of purchasing a forgery from a VCoins dealer is pretty low.

Kristos and Stuwii like this.
  20. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

No reason to show the edge, they are pressed and not genuine.

Bing and Stuwii like this.
  21. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

The patina struck me as "off" on all three of them. I would return them.

Draft saved Draft deleted