[CLOSED] 2023 Coin Talk Cherry-picking Contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Paddy54, Feb 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

apparently not THAT patient :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Welp it’s hard to play if it takes 6 months to get the coins…lol

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

One reason I wanted the contest to run out the year. The winner is everyone whom entered or read the thread. Making everyone aware what can be found or discovered.

The biggest award is the knowledge learned by being apart or again reading and expanding your coin world.
    And best of all sometimes the teacher gets taught.;)

PamR likes this.
  5. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

I am getting old by the minute. I forgot what is meant by Plate Coin. I’d thought it was a coin referenced by the TPG images but since anybody can request/get an image I’m doubting my understanding.

6. Paddy54

http://www.indiancentvarieties.com/

Look at the listed varieties here David always includes the best example of said variety in a photo as a guide.

You'll also find them in books as a color plate with images of the coins.

7. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

So, does the coin count as a R7.5 because of the 1823/2 or because of the large E? I realize this is for bragging rights, but the 1823/2 in either large or small E versions would still be primarily rare due to the overdate, which is stated on the ANACS flip.

8. NorthKorea

Wouldn’t those not count, if you already have them submitted to a TPG?

9. Paddy54

If you find a coin thats a variety raw or slabed as long as YOU not a tpg had the find and then had it attributed. If it was already listed on the slab the variety that is...that not finding or discovering thats picking off ebay or elsewhere a coin already found by another and had it slabed and the attribution put on the slab.
    So no..unless you found the variety and then have it attributed...not picking one already found and noted....by someone else on the slab.
    I could fill a shopping cart of those in minuites.

10. NorthKorea

Wait, so now I need to have a TPG validate the variation?

11. Paddy54

No thats not what I said...anyone who knows how to attribute a coin can do it.
    You can do it.... it doesn't need be encapsulated and if it is ....." you had it slabbed " and noted on the slab the attribution ... not by you going on line and buying a coin thats a variety that someone else found or discovered and they had the coin graded as well notation on the slab.
    Thats not cherry picking its buying a coin.....that isnt your find or discovery.
    How can you buy a coin already attributed and slabed and think its a cherry pick?

12. Paddy54

s-l1600-2.jpg

Here's an example a 1938 D ....D/D variety I didnt find a raw,or slabed specimen and realize that the coin was in fact a D/D ....no it was already on the slab....the variety that is D/D . As all I did was search a known variety on ebay and found the coin pictured above.
    That's not cherry picking thats buying a coin that has been found and or discovered by someone else..not you.

13. NorthKorea

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

Here are a couple I found: Not a huge deal moneywise, but still nice...

1. 1833 High Last 3 10c
    Mine is about FR-02
    Survival estimate of 250 and R-6.6 according to PCGS...

2. 1843 No variety
    VG-8 or so...
    Survival estimate of 400 and R-6.2 according to PCGS...

15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

(Just bumping this up above some of the closed contests)

Paddy54 likes this.
  16. Paddy54

There will be a contest prize as soon as I can pick one that fits the bill. So stay tuned... it a work in progress.

Here is the prize. This very nice I say raw 65 + specimen. s-l300-9.jpg s-l300-10.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    Abramthegreat likes this.
  17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Ending 12-31-2023? Sorry, I can't wait that long. Seriously, I can't.

18. Paddy54

@Mountain Man

Then Albert since I sponcered this contest I can change it...:)
    And that said... for you my friend it will end On Tax day April 17 2023.
    I will make arrangements with a mod to make it happen...

You sir keep posting... as my b day is coming soon....and I smell cake! I expect you to be here for a slice! I be honored if you would.

PamR likes this.
  19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

You really shouldn't have, but I am honored by your gesture.

PamR, Paddy54 and Kentucky like this.
  20. Paddy54

Well Albert I will make it happen...I will have Rob make some changes ...stay tuned!

PamR likes this.
  21. Paddy54

As the sponcer of this contest I here by declare it closed.... !

The contest rules will be changed so all members can enter, and that one of our outstanding members can enter as well see the winner of this contest.

The new contest will be named "Albert ...you are da man! " in honor of Mountain Man.

Rules are quick and easy.... Post your best of the best coin in your collection ...in honor of our friend "Mountain Man... aka Albert " On...tax day 4/17/23 a random generator will pick the winning posts. There will be three prize's an 1950 D Jefferson unc. , an 1938 D Buffalo nickel unc. And lastly to make it fun as well interesting.... a mystery prize.... :)
    Which could be a zonk or the grand prize. :)
    Please see the new thread I've just posted.

I will hold another cherry pickin contest some time this coming Fall.

PamR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.