[CLOSED] 2023 Coin Talk Cherry-picking Contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Paddy54, Feb 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

2023 Coin Talk Cherry Picking Contest

The 2023 cherry-picking contest

This contest will run from 2/2/23 until 12/31/23

The prize : The Bragging rights that” you are” the 2023 Coin Talk Cherry Picker champion.

Rules are simple share with the membership here on this thread your new find.

Your find can be a cherry pick, a discovery coin, or a plate coin for the variety.

The points scale for each variety below will be added up for each pick.

Depending on the rarity of each specimen. A point or points will be assigned .

Example of a discovery coin will get you a 100 points , a plate coin specimen will earn you 50 points.

Now as for the variety we will use the Sheldon scale to provide us the points awarded.

R-1 = 20 points

R-2 = 25 points

R-3= 35 points

R-4 = 40 points

R-5 = 45 points

R-6 = 50 points

R-7 = 75 points

R-8 = 100 points

Each pick entered will be required to post the date picked. The entry will post to their ability to describe the variety. Type ie…RPD ,DDO,DDR,MPD,….etc… as well a photo of the specimen, and a short description of how you picked the coin. Show, ebay, etc….

At years end each member total points will be counted… a running total of members placement in the contest will be posted monthly as to the top members standings in the contest.

The member with the top points by 12/31/23 will be named ” Top Cherry -Picker of 2023 on Coin Talk.”

Notoriety will be given to second and third place finishers of the contest.

The contest is open to “all” if you are cherry pickers or not! One never knows that a purchase has hidden value by an error or variety on that specimen.

The purpose is to make others aware of other areas of collecting, to instill other interest in the hobby ,and lastly…to educate each other in the knowledge we have found.

Each entry will total their points at the end of their submissions…. As total points this submission

which will be checked for correct total. Ok sound like fun?

I am going to try and find awards <prizes> for the winner,as well second and third place finishers. If I find a sponcer willing to pony up a physical prize I will keep you posted. Or if someone would like to donate a prize please advise.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Newbee03

Newbee03 Well-Known Member

Ok so I cherry picked a large E variety on a 1823/2 capped bust dime. I cherry picked it on eBay and i did it on February 12th. According to coin facts it's a rarity 7.5 I just happened to be looking to fill in some holes and stumbled across it. Screenshot_20230212-102841.png Screenshot_20230212-102850.png Collage_2023-02-10_18_43_02~2.jpg

4. Paddy54

Nice find... keep hunting!!! They are out there..,

5. meandyou4ever0

meandyou4ever0 meandyou4ever0

I picked a 2017 A series $5 radar note. I received it in change from my local Ace Hardware store on February 20th 2023. IMG_20230220_185338.jpg IMG_20230220_185315.jpg

Abramthegreat and Cheech9712 like this.
  6. meandyou4ever0

Last question about the contest, I promise lol
    When we initially post our pick, do we add to that thread or create a new thread for new picks?

7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Do you have to buy the coin to be an official cherry-picking?

8. Paddy54

Each entry or pick is to be added to the current running thread. No do not start another thread.

9. Paddy54

I say the definition of a cherry pick is picking a known error or variety from an sorce ,or inventory ,lot of coins where the variety or error isn't known by the seller,or dealer.
    Purchasing the find and having it attributed.
    You cant cherry pick a coin without aquiring it. So yes one must own, and # 2 must be from a source thats the variety or error is unknown to seller ,and reconized by you.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Good answer

11. meandyou4ever0

Oops, I meant comment not thread. I apologize:nailbiting:

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  12. Paddy54

No worries its all good.
    I have several finds myself.... however this thread isnt about me. Its about other members enjoying the hunt. And hopefully building skills to use later .

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Forgot to post this here.

This is one of the most popular Seated Dime varieties not in the Red Book, and I believe it is an R-5 in all grades.

Purchased unattributed on Ebay for $32.

Cheech9712 and Paddy54 like this.
  14. Paddy54

1858/1858 inverted half dime. The rpm 002 s-l1600.png s-l1600-1.png top 100 variety coin of the series.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  15. Paddy54

So a issue has come to mind. And that would be specimens found that are so rare that no R =factor has not been assigned. To fit such a unrated variety into the point system we will consider a coin so rare that no R factor has been assigned as an R 8 +100 points so that would raise your points by 200. 100 for the R 8 +100 pts for non rared factor.
    This keeps the point system balanced . As 1 major find could off set the contest. Don't forget to post your plate coins or links to credits you recieved from previous finds over the years.

The contest is for fun...but think about the learning possibilities shared on the thread. And if you do not know what a plate coin is? Or where to turn to to have your find attributed...ask.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't really understand what is being said. Not sure what is being called a plate coin. I thought the pick had to be made this year and not from the past.

17. Paddy54

Correct the pick must be this year the dates posted. You can include a plate coins should you find one durring the dates posted not before. As some members were not sure what a plate coin stands for.
    As I recieved a few pm's asking?
    The reason I capped the no R value finds points was to keep it fair across the board on skill levels.

18. Paddy54

This is the wrong photo I uploaded. Both being dark I chose the wrong file. This is corrected image. 20220911_114400.jpg 20220911_114341.jpg

19. Paddy54

So its time to add another pick posted in the forum ,but fits this thread a little better.

1867/67 indian head cent in VG 10 thats a snow # 1 rpd 001
    As you can see the very worn coin has been slabed. Its a nice color, woodie toned, and hiding something?
    Hiding some and other pups are right there in front of your eyes....that now trained ...knowing what to look for zero in and everything comes together.

Now as a pointer most people would of passed over this lower grader slab ,as they tend to focus on better grades, and mind set that bigger is better...not always.
    As a picker one needs to turn over every slab.... no less a basement slab as one never knows what one may find.
    Thinking out of the box....a little bell went off thinking why is this coin in a slab? Its a vg 10 hardly worth the grading fees????
    Just another clue to spark the hunt further.

So what we have here is several things that will be easy for everyone to reconized. In fact I just spotted another item that needs be looked at and question.

This variety an R 3 for 30 contest pts.

The 1867 is a better date indian head cent. There are several rpm and other varieties on this date.
    http://www.indiancentvarieties.com/1867_varieties.html
    Here is a link to the 1867 ihc die marriage and snow numbers.

I began to examine the specimen tweeked by severl things that I mentioned before.
    Doing my research ,based on all the pups the reference showed me.

Date , neck ,in front of the eyes, die breaks, and other clashes and die chips found on the coin.
    Take a good look at the following
    Date you definitely can see within the date doubling repunching, placement.
    Lady liberty's neck just so happens to have a clash on her neck ....an "N' ...shaped die clash from the N in one . Also around hervear die lines going also down the neck.
    She's looking right at the "C" clash in front of her eyes. This letter came from the reverse word "CENT" .
    A die crack from rim to the D in united....another from arrows tips to rim.

I've just noticed another annomilie on her forhead...like a horn ,spike like.. , seen here on the head over her eyes looks like a flag from the 1 a mpd the 1.

s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-9.png s-l1600-8.png

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If I find one, I will play...

Paddy54 likes this.
  21. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Looks like great fun. I’ve got 7 Cherry Picks at GC which should be done any day. Meanwhile I sent 2 more in to PCGS received Nov 21, 2022 and stuck in “being encapsulated status” since Dec 27th, 2022. I’m patient but …

22. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.