2021-P Washington Crossing the Delaware Quarter Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Miri, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Miri

Miri New Member

In checking numerous rolls of uncirculated 2021-P Washington Crossing the Delaware quarters, I found some coins that reflect what appear to be errors. The first photo is representative of those coins.

The first photo contrasts with the second photo of a coin that shows Washington's uniform in much greater detail - complete with buttons and clearly defined lines for the sleeve and cape. S20220403_025.jpg S20220403_027.jpg

To date I have not been able to find any comments regarding coins similar to those shown in the first photo. If anyone is aware of the identification of this error, I would appreciate that information. Thank you!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Thats not an error just weakly struck, or a worn-out die.

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

As stated above it looks like a weak strike. However, it is difficult to judge as you have taken 2 images each with a different focus, and different concentration of light on that part of the coin . The bottom left quarter of the first image is blurred.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

As stated way above. Weak strike. :rolleyes:

6. Miri

Miri New Member

Thank you very much for the comments. Being a novice regarding precise meanings of terms such as "weak streak," "worn-out die," and/or "error," I do not understand when or ever a "weak streak" or "worn-out die" constitutes an "error."

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

You need to know that the working dies strike thousands and thousands of coins, so through wear, the dies produce less defined details. So your coin was struck with a worn die, IMHO.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

A weak strike or worn out strike will not make for an error. This is just a maintenance issue and/or a quality control problem.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not an error. The coin in the top phot was minted from a die that was worn and the second photo has a coin that was minted with a new, strong die that still has lots of li be left in it.

10. Miri

Miri New Member

A heartfelt thanks to each of you for your helpful, thoughtful replies!!

Cheech9712 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  11. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

What are the mint marks?

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  12. Miri

Miri New Member

"Mint mark" to me is the "P" designating the Philadelphia mint. Please let me know whether your question pertains to particular scratches or other imperfections. THANK YOU!

13. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20220405-094553_CoinFacts.jpg

14. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Wanted to be sure both were P mint mark! Often there is a difference between the Philly strike and the Denver strike, with the Denver strike being much stronger IMO! If they are both P mint mark, then I agree with a weak strike theory!

Cheech9712 likes this.
  15. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

OP's opening paragraph says rolls of P quarters so we have to assume it is correct and not customer rolled with various MM inside

16. Amberlarry22

Amberlarry22 Well-Known Member

Its a reverse Die Clash

17. Amberlarry22

Amberlarry22 Well-Known Member

18. Josh7878

Josh7878 New Member

[​IMG] I came across this one today. It kind of looks like an oar fell in the water and was floating. Thoughts from the group?

19. Josh7878

Josh7878 New Member

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Hey Josh I saw that your other photo, (different thread) Didn't post.
    The best way to get answers is to start a new thread. What you have is displaced metal though. That is a heavy bag mark from the reeded edge of another quarter. Neat looking but it is a common mark found on Washington quarters.

tommyc03 likes this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

So true

Draft saved Draft deleted