2003 D Missouri state quarter error?!?!! Silver???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by David Handlin, Feb 21, 2024.

1. David Handlin

David Handlin Member

All,
    My girlfriend found a state quarter Missouri D mint mark that looks to be silver is this possible can you please take a look at this coin and give me you’re Expert opinion I can take better photos if these don’t work thank you

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

Not silver, the coin appears to have been plated in a thin layer of metal, kind of like how reprocessed steel cents are. This was likely done so that it could be included in a mass produced state quarter display. :)

Edit - Spelling

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Highly doubtful as all silver quarters from this series were minted in San Francisco.

Weigh it though.......6.25 grams for silver, 5.67 for clad

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

When the state quarter series came out the television was covered up with with hawksters marketing all manner of plated state quarters. They were quite popular and the entrepreneurs certainly capitalized. I do believe that Mike Mezack began his TV coin career marketing state quarters..... BUT WAIT! Order now and you will get.....

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

A super duper, gold plated, extra large, granny bait cherry wood box.....(devil)

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I wonder if it's platinum plated? I've seen more listings for platinum than for silver-plated (but not as many as for gold-plated).

8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I heard an ad on the radio one Saturday morning. The product was "genuine authentic simulated imitation gun metal colored plastic". Just what every kid in the '50's needed.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks plated.

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

No thanks!!!!

Inspector43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted