2 part thread. 1: GTG 1880 S Morgan 2: Would acetone remove the gunk if cracked?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Sep 1, 2016.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

Guess me grade... Then would acetone or Ammonia remove the brown gunk whatever it might be??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess MS65 DMPL. I would leave the coin as is. No need to crack it and take a chance at ruining it.

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I like it for DMPL but would stop at MS64. IMO the brown-ish stuff is a planchet irregularity, as struck, or NGC wouldn't have slabbed it. Any attempt to remove it would ruin the coin.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I say 63 DMPL and agree with others leave it as is.

6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Dave is correct. Its a planchet impurity like the black slag streaks.

Almost looks like strickthrough woodchips but notice how the zero is fully struck so its a planchet impurity. Too bad as Woodchip strikethroughs are very desierable. Still a nice coin!

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

63DMPL - very nice coin. As said leave it as is.

8. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

64DMPL I would leave it as is like the others said.

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Oh as for grade I'm saying ngc gave it 64dmpl due to the streaks which usually kill a grade point. Could have net bumped to 65 without due to above average eye appeal

10. jtlee321

Looks like I was being generous. :)

11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

NO, they are planchet flaws with discoloration. Conservation can remove the color but why? Neat and interesting Mint defects.

12. DysfunctionalVeteran

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Wow. It got the 65. Nice. And a star but not even pl. Strange. Looks like one side didn't quite make it I guess and they still netted it to 5 even with the impurities due to great eye appeal

14. DysfunctionalVeteran

What prevented the dmpl, the streaks?

15. jtlee321

Wow, I had the grade but not the designation. I would have swore up and down that that would be a minimum PL based on the photos.

16. DysfunctionalVeteran

That's what I'm also wondering. Could the brown spots be preventing it? Others have said removing the brown would ruin the coin. I'm wondering if better photos could narrow down the brown.

17. Insider

Streaks, bag marks, scratches, stains, etc. have nothing to do with the depth of the mirror surface (except stains, haze, and ED can hide or diminish them).

Cascade likes this.
  18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Apparently not. :)

Grading nice frosty Morgans like that is a crapshoot - you can never really tell how serious the stuff on the cheek is. I erred on the side of caution on this one, and wholly underestimated the degree of frost which could remain on a non-DMPL coin. Both are the product of the exact same thing - a brand-new, freshly hubbed and polished die - and all I can think is that the SF Mint didn't polish the fields to their usual standard so it didn't end up reflective.

Curious coin, and I'd absolutely welcome it into my own collection. :)

Cascade likes this.
  19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Holy crap, did I just "like" an insider post :eggface::facepalm::banhappy::yawn::bag::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

TJ1952 likes this.
  20. Insider

I've ran out of fingers and toes counting all the "likes" I've given to you when you deserve one. :p

TJ1952 likes this.
  21. DysfunctionalVeteran

At the time of my post this coin wasn't mine as I was on the fence about buying it due to the brown. I wasn't sure if back in the 1880's someone in SF was sipping on a cup o Joe or something thick brown and spilt a few drops here oh' there when closing a bag.

I decided to bite the bullet and make 'er mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted