1979 D Lincoln cent

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Cody M, Apr 3, 2024.

1. Cody M

Cody M New Member

My aunt recently passed away. She had a gallon ziplock bag half full of what look to be very clean 1979 D Pennie’s. I have gone through some of them but nothing much. I don’t believe there is much out there on 1979 errors. The only thing I might find is possibly a potential high grade coin. Any suggestions on what to look for out of this bad?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

There is not anything much to look for in the 1979-D cent. There is one RPM that is really not worth looking for. IMO. I think the best you could hope for is a Lamination,
    a Mis-strike or a small Clipped coin, or some other minor abnormality. Then there is just the fun and experience of looking.
    https://www.error-ref.com/index-of-entries/

Cody M and tommyc03 like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You can find all sorts of mint errors on all years and all denominations. You just need to know what to look for. There is no official list for each individual year showing what errors you could find.
    Now for varieties, that's a different story. Errors and Varieties fall under 2 separate categories.
    There are lists for 1979 Cents for the varieties.

And.. there is a lot to learn. Be patient and post Pictures!!!!!!!

Cheech9712 and Cody M like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Best to read up and learn about the coin production methods at the mints. Then when you see a coin you think is an error you’ll know if it’s possible because you took the time to learn how coins are minted.

Cody M likes this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I've seen my share of these, both P&D over the years and found nothing of importance. Some minor die cracks at the base of the Memorial and on some of the pillars. For the most part, as I recall, most were not well struck, mushy strikes on the reverse, handled roughly and likely prior to getting rolled. Good luck though.

Cody M likes this.
  7. Cody M

Cody M New Member

Thank you for the link. I look forward to the experience and learn.

alurid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted