1972 TYPE 2 IKE DOLLAR, GUESS THE GRADE.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by coins776, Sep 28, 2015.

1. coins776

coins776 no title

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I detect a few fingerprints on both sides..... 60

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto to the fingerprints.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

AU-58. Fingerprints and bag marks lower the grade.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. coins776

coins776 no title

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Hmmm... it may look different in hand, but this one really screams "AU-58" in the pictures.

charlietig likes this.
  9. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Even MS-60..... 63 was by far not what I was expecting.

10. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to where you saw the friction or wear which made you suspect AU

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Again, it may just be the pictures and how I am interpreting them. But, the eagle's left leg, and Ike's temple/cheekbone/jaw all show slight discoloration that indicates wear to me. Combined with the heavy fingerprints and dull fields (an artifact of circulation), I really have a hard time calling this one UNC.

phankins11 likes this.
  12. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

I thought this may have been a\the contributing factor for you. I can tell you from my experience with these (which isn't near as mush as others), and as it looks with this one, the coin is actually toned somewhat of a gold color. This coin to me looks like it was pulled out of a cello pack before it was graded. I have 15 of these (not the '72) but '78s and they all have this gold color to them I've examined them in the past the toning seems to be "worn off" in certain areas...its just really uneven Here's a pic of one I have, you can see the high points here have a different color in the pack.

upload_2015-10-2_11-2-52.jpeg

I wonder if thaose thumb prints were from the person who removed it form the cello pack and sent it in for grading. Crazy to touch a coin that way...Is it possible for that print to develop like that over time in the holder? I'm assuming, of course that @coins776 is not the person who sent this in for grading recently.

Draft saved Draft deleted