1966 mint set not SMS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by The Bob, Nov 26, 2017.

1. The Bob

The Bob Active Member

Hey I found a 1966 Mint set that was not a SMS. What's up with that? fake? it was in some stuff someone is sending me when I get it I will post a picture. I didn't think they made 66 Mint sets except for the SMS/]

Happy Sunday

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Technically they did make mint sets, they just happen to be "Special". Any set of coins put together with one of each denomination is a "mint set". It doesn't have to include one from each mint, and they don't have to be uncirculated.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@The Bob

If you have a copy of "The Guidebook of United States Coins", aka the Red Book, you can find a much better explanation about the Special Mint Sets (SMS) by looking in the Index. Note: The actual page may vary from one year to the next due to additions in the Red Book.

Chris

352sdeer likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You're right, they didn't.

But can you describe or post pics of the set you're talking about ? As suggested, it could be nothing more than a date set of coins put together by a private individual. But it could also be a fake set as those do exist. Or it might be a Souvenir Set sold by the mint - if memory serves correctly they did have them back them.

Also, what makes you say it is not an SMS set ?

352sdeer likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Last seen yesterday at at 10:44 PM. Quite possibly, never to be seen again.......

CamaroDMD likes this.
  7. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

A drive-by trolling?

352sdeer and green18 like this.
  8. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I've seen third party made 'mint sets' in the years of 65-67, 82, 83. And would wager it's probably one of those

352sdeer likes this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

and still not back.

Bye, bye

10. The Bob

The Bob Active Member

11. The Bob

The Bob Active Member

small rectangle plastic - mint set i think they traded coins and put in bu coins on the container no where does it read 1966 just mint set

12. GDJMSP

This is what a genuine '66 SMS set should look like -

[​IMG]

Based on what you're saying I suspect that what you are talking about looks like one of these -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or perhaps a clear holder similar to this one but without a date sticker on it -

[​IMG]

Those are all after-market holders that anyone can put coins taken from circulation into. It's just a way for collectors to make up their own mint sets.

352sdeer and Stevearino like this.
  13. The Bob

The Bob Active Member

none like your images ty

14. GDJMSP

Those were just a few samples of the after-market mint set holders that are available. There are many others.

But all of the genuine SMS Mint Sets are found in holders like the 1st one I posted.

15. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I've seen pliofilm holders for 1966 coins. They have thin cardboard discs (tokens) to identify them.

I don't know who made them.

Draft saved Draft deleted