1951 D wheat cent, error or damage?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by John Frank 4263, Apr 23, 2023.

1. John Frank 4263

John Frank 4263 New Member

Found this wheat cent tonight. Not sure if this is an error or just damage. Never seen anything like it before. Just wanted to get your opinions on it. Thanks.
    PXL_20230424_014456908.jpg PXL_20230424_014551386.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CygnusCC

CygnusCC Roping the Learns Supporter

Hmm, it doesn't quite look like a detached lamination. Is it raised? If so it's probably glue from where it was stuck on a card or similar.

Cazador, SensibleSal66 and Spark1951 like this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Just Damage. Not an error. :D

5. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

I agree with above that it's most likely PMD, but there's a very very small possibility it's a strike through. "The plastic comes from a covering which is used to protect the dies, and is removed prior to the die’s being put into service to strike coins. Sometimes not all the plastic is removed, resulting in a strike through."---Jon Sullivan, Sullivan Numismatics

paddyman98 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Can you provide better pictures of the reverse side?
    Try at an angle.

I think you might be wrong this time. I've seen similar large Delaminations before. (Planchet Flaw)

JPD3, eddiespin and CygnusCC like this.
  7. SensibleSal66

Oh darn! Could it be residue from tape?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. CygnusCC

One way to find out is to soak it for a few hours in pure acetone. See if the glue/residue comes off...

I agree with paddyman, though. An angle should give us a much better view.

JPD3 likes this.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Looks like tape residue from being in an album. And I think I'm seeing a die chip on the MM. I would soak it in acetone for a bit and then use a Q-tip.

JPD3 likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It could be a form of a delimitation but in this photo it looks like residue from scotch tape. Better photos are needed.

Welcome to CT.

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Look at how it doesn't affect either rim but is confined to the reverse face. Pretty hard to think of it as damage. See what an acetone soak does. I'm thinking it's lamination. Sharper pictures wouldn't hurt none, I'm in agreement with @paddyman98 there.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    JPD3 likes this.
  12. John Frank 4263

John Frank 4263 New Member

Soaked it in acetone. These are the after pictures. It isn't raised at all. And as eddiespin pointed out it is confined to the reverse and not the edge.
    PXL_20230425_102451109.jpg PXL_20230425_102327485.jpg

CygnusCC likes this.
  13. CygnusCC

The strip cleaned up nicely after the acetone soak, which is why I'm thinking more than ever that this was tape/glue residue. The residue protected the coin from natural toning which is why you can see the lighter copper color exposed. You can even see how the rim has become lighter where it was protected.

IMO, I think you have a coin that was stuck or taped to something. I'll let the more experienced members make the final determination, though.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to CT!

Mark1971 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  14. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Looks a lot like one of the pennies my great grandma would tape inside one of my birthday cards when I was a little kid. After a number of years being taped inside of the card, the tape leaves a residue on the coin much like that.

One of the things I miss from my childhood, getting birthday cards with coins taped on the inside from great grandma.

JPD3, Mark1971, Cheech9712 and 2 others like this.
  15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Good stuff

JPD3 and VistaCruiser69 like this.
  16. SensibleSal66

Coins? I used to get $20 mailed to me in the mail. Boy, you must be older than me? :p

JPD3, CygnusCC and VistaCruiser69 like this.
  17. VistaCruiser69

No, I think it's because my great grandma was at her prime during the great depression. My grandparents were kids during that era as well. And for that reason, those who experienced it first hand tended to keep it living in their memories which in turn impacted what they did for the remainder of their lives. For example, nothing upset my grandparents in the home more then wasting food. Every time I ate a meal at the house where I was serving myself, my grandfather would echo "take all you want but eat all you take". I threw away some food from my plate into the trash once. He looked at me like I had just got caught stealing money or something. I made sure I never did that again. He's not around anymore, but still, to this day, I live by that golden rule.

18. CygnusCC

Yup, I grew up getting a $2 bill in my birthday card from granny, well into the 80's. Looking back on it, it was endearing - something I would remember fondly the rest of my life. As a pre-teen and teenager, though, I was pretty disappointed that it didn't at least move up to a $5 or $10 bill. ;)

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  19. VistaCruiser69

The last card I got with money in it from my great grandmother was when I turned 12. She put a $2 dollar bill in it. Getting it, I was then anticipating others to follow. But nope, that was the last time she sent me money in a card. After that it was just cards without any money. Turns out she did that will all her great grandkids. When you got the $2.00 from great grandma, you know that's the last of it.

CygnusCC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted