1944 steel penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jrballard72, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrballard72

jrballard72 New Member

I know the rarity of these, but figured that it was worth the risk when I saw 2 on ebay being sold for $1000. I figured as long as i cover my bases and document everything, if or once I find out that they are fake, I will be able to return them for a full refund.

The listing said they pass the magnet test, so I was just looking for some advise on detecting a tampered date. I was going to bring these to a certified numismatist so that I can and if they think its real send it to pcgs for grading within the 45 days that I have to file for a refund.

Other questions I would have is what is the starting values for these coins if they are certified even in g condition. I haven't received the coins yet so I will have a better idea about their exact grade once they are received.

I know the chances are extremely slim that these are real but heard some crazy numbers if they were. One of them was a 1944 S also and I heard there are only 2 known that are certified. Anyways, the gambler in me was enticed by it. Thanks for any help, Jeremy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I would avoid them. These coins have sold for over $300K. I can guarantee you they are fake and it might be hard to get your money back. So, I would stay away.

4. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

So you did buy them?

5. CamaroDMD

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Seller info wildprincess1.

As a seller, 92.3% Positive feedback, 12 pos and 1 neg. 1 feedback, "LIED ABOUT SHIPPING ITEM-SENT FAKE TRACKING #...GOT REFUND THRU EBAY" I don't think I'd buy from her.

As a buyer, 100% Positive.

7. jrballard72

jrballard72 New Member

did buy, correct ebay item...I was assured that if they were fake I would be able to get a refund through ebay or paypal. I have done this before taking a chance on items and yes things are too good to be true. I am going to be recording the opening of the package and getting them thoroughly checked out to cover all my risk. Anyways, I will try to keep you posted on my probably fakes.

8. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I am interested in the outcome please keep us posted!

9. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

You got ripped off. She doesn't accept returns, you're gonna have to SNAD her and it's gonna be a PITA to get your money back.

Crappy black and white pics, bet they're just regular cents.

10. jrballard72

jrballard72 New Member

it really doesn't matter if she takes returns or not. She is selling 2 assumed authentic 1944 steel pennies. Ebay protects items that are not as described. As long as I have everything documented and get them checked out by an expert within 45 days, I will have no problem getting my money back if/when they turn out fake. They were supposed to be shipped Wednesday or Thursday, and won't make it in to a certified numismatist until next weekend. That is if I can't detect anything wrong with them via magnet test or magnified inspection of the date for tampering. I understand they are probably fake but still, have never gotten burned through paypal protection and will take those chances until once either bites me and maybe one day I will get really lucky. My last risk that was refunded through paypal was for gold indian head $5 coins for $300 each for every year and $350 each for 5 1929 coins which can be worth thousands or tens of thousands of dollars that year alone. I will keep update when I have the bad news on these coins.

11. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Another hammer you have over the seller is (according to the info) is that he/she is in the United States. Selling counterfeit coins is a felony and a threat (if the coin is not real) to report the "sale" to the Secret Service might be helpful in getting a refund

12. jrballard72

jrballard72 New Member

appreciate the "take it to em'" approach, but I will just be happy with a full refund. This coin has been known about for over 50 years, if it is fake, it doesn't necessarily mean that this seller did it or is selling it knowingly. If it gets that far, that will be my final bargaining chip to get the refund. Thanks.

13. Loves2Travel

Loves2Travel PEACE DOLLAZ

I am very interested in what happens, please keep us posted! ;D

14. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

I am about 99% sure that that is fake. Seller charged too little for them, and they would make numismatic headlines. Also, pics are not showing the actual color of the coin

15. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

Selling on ebay is like working without a contract, the buyer has the power. Peep us coasted.

16. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I'd love to hear how this turns out. Although, I'm so close to being 100% sure that these are fake.

And in some cases that is the WORST thing about eBay.

17. calumsherwood

calumsherwood New Member

why would a seller use black and white pictures to sell an item like this? and more importantly why would any one buy it? an article i read recently estimated that there may be only 10-15 of these in existance so what are the chances of one seller having two?

18. CamaroDMD

I just think this is a big mistake. Basically, you have tied up a whole bunch of money (at least to me) on a couple coins that are almost certainly fake. The seller clearly knows that 1944 steel cents are ultra rare and still was willing to let the pair go for under $1000. To me, that is proof enough that they know its fake. Despite the policy's of eBay, Paypal, and the seller...the money will likely be very hard to get back. I'm sure you will be able to get it back once the coins are proven to be fake, but still...it's going to be a pain. Plus, what if you don't get it back. It's just a bad move IMHO. But, good luck though. Maybe you will strike gold.

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Sellers of fakes forget that the steel planchet weighs 2.7-2.5 grams and the copper planchet is 3.11 ( 2.98-3.24 grams). Steel plating a copper cent will bring it up a tad more.

Jim

20. jrballard72

jrballard72 New Member

Thank you desertgem for the weights...I have a .01 scale and will be able to verify that way as well. I am 99.99 percent sure they are fake as well, but there are people out there that don't know that much about what (even rare) coins are worth. It has never ever been an issue getting money back when I am in favor. I am a truthful person and as long as I am thorough there really isn't a risk of losing the money. It may just take a month to get back. As I said before about 14 gold $5 Indian head coins that I purchased with 5 1929's, that was over $5100 and it was because I knew I was protected and had the opportunity if they were real to realize many times that investment depending on what kind of shape they were in with the 1929's fetching over $10000 in some cases. Anyways, it will be interesting to see, and understand people feeling it's a mistake, but since I am all but certain that I will be able to recover funds when they turn out fake, I will take a shot like this every time. Wishing and hoping :D. I will be able to weigh them and do the magnet test early this week hopefully when they arrive.

21. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I think you mean steel...

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.