1936-P Mercury Dime FB - GTG - Submit?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Feb 3, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Here's my 1936-P Mercury Dime. I've determined that it would be worth it for me to submit to both NCS and NGC if it's able to reach the grade that I have in my mind.

Here are my questions:

1. Grade. What would you grade this as?

2. Conservation. It doesn't have the greatest eye appeal on the obverse. Sending it off to NCS will be worth it for me if it's a certain grade.

3. TPG Choice. I want to send it to NGC because I don't want to pay for another membership to PCGS.

4. FB. Full bands, right? I take it that NGC will grade it as FB or not FB with the normal, no add-on service.

5. Error. There appears to be an impression right next to the letter "L" on the obverse. Would that be a die clash? At first, I thought it may simply be the weird toning spot that created that, but it seems to be too much of a coincidence that it's in the shape and thickness of part of the letter "L" right next to it, and be tone in a pattern that's completely different from how the rest of the toning went. And, there's a DDO variety, but nothing else.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Nice strike however what ever that cloud is in front of her face I personally believe would subtract from a grade you be happy with.
    If the entire coin was white I say go for it. JMHO
    Not an error or a variety it's a clash no extra points or dollars

4. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

If conservation would fix it, then I'd submit it.

5. Paddy54

Not worth it.....1936 dime in unc is not a key or semi key date. Look up one price wise. I bet you could buy one graded for a lot less then putting more money into a coin that is not worth it. It's a cool find. I purchased A 1944 that is very common , raw why it had nice tone, the md on the date was very cool, but at the end of the day I purchased a coin that wouldn't grade a point over Au.
    And for a fact I over paid for it....why I liked the coin, was I going to get my money back no....was it going to be a top pop no......I venture to say 99% of the members here wouldn't offer me anything over spot. No worries I like the coin..... by putting perfume on a pig doesn't change its smell.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

It sounds like my coin would come back as a low MS grade, or not high enough to at least break even... even when the toning bit is excluded?

7. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Assuming you put nothing into getting the coin (i.e. you got it for free) you would need it to get 66+ or higher plus the full split bands. I don't think it will grade that high and I'm not even sure it will get FSB.

8. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was thinking that I needed a minimum of an MS-67 FSB.

There are lots of little black dots, maybe carbon spots, that make it appear as if they're dents. I'm hoping that NCS would fix it, but that's an unknown to me. There are very, very few bag marks. The FSB is fully there when seen through the loupe. It doesn't look as clear through the USB microscope - I should have evaluated everywhere with the loupe instead of the digital microscope.

I paid about $7 for it + shipping.

9. Paddy54

Correct case in point, a dealer friend of mine just sent in a coin for me to pcgs to cross grade. We both looked at my coin graded proof 68 deep camo. Agreed that we shoot for no less than an PR 66 dc. The coin didn't cross. And because it didn't I still paid out 95.00 and got nada!
    Now here was a coin that we both agreed that not a proof 68 but was it dc yes. Was it like two points below yes.
    pcgs now charges the fee to grade plus 1.5 % over the value.
    so a 35-40 slab ended up costing me a c note,and the coin is still a nice coin over graded by a TPG that most would turn their nose up .

10. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Maybe this one's a bit better to show the bands and the black spots.

There's no break in the split, and what would it grade with the black spots removed?

By the way, that "E PLURIBUS" looks strange. Though I've seen other Mercs and they don't look crisp either. Not sure what to think of that.

[​IMG]

11. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

And, in the pic above, is the branch doubled at the top (the one with the leaf overlapping the fasces)? Looking at other examples on the 'net, they generally appear as thick, but I'm not sure if that's due to weak strike examples, the physics of die wear and more force on smaller planchets, the angle of my photo, etc.

By the way, I'm not really used to small coins, as I prefer nickel size or wider diameter coins. So, I'm not sure if these things are normal or not for such a small coin. And, don't worry if you hit me with a lower grade - my feelings won't get hurt lol, just let me know and I'll appreciate your educated opinion.

Thanks again!

12. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

And is this just MD on the date?

20160203211632.jpg

EDIT:

And split serif on the "W" in "WE" - just a result of MD, too?

Maybe they're repunched?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

You don't notice any disconnect between these two statements? :)

Seriously though, I don't know for sure if it would even get FB. They look like they might be split in your second image, but they look flat. That may or may not fly.

As far as the grade itself, without all the ugly toning, I'd say it could get a 65-66.

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I do now lol, but one can only hope, right?

15. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Not worth it. You won't get what you want out of it, and the eye appeal isn't there on the obverse. Wait for the right coin.

Paddy54 likes this.
  16. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

17. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

18. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

yup.. very well could be the I in america from the reverse.. cool.

19. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes, MD on the obverse date & W.

No, not worth slabbing

Draft saved Draft deleted