1932 - S Quarter on Pawn Stars

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mat, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I was reading the directTV tv guide for Pawn Stars this coming monday & one episode description mentioned a 1932-S Quarter. Will at at the 1030pm time slot.

Curious to see how much they rip off the owner.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Well I personally do not feel they are ripping anybody off. They have to make money to stay in business. It seems like they average around 50% of the value and sometimes goes more. What I find funny is that some people do not find out what they have before they go to sell it. I know in a few cases it would be tough, but still... Of course if you watched that one show where they showed what they made on some of the items it was less than 30%.

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I agree with mark h.
    The guys usually states it's worth xxx and I'll give you xxx minus 25% or so.
    He has alot of expenses and it trying to make a living.

But I do like the show.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Ive watched it alot of times, its one of my favorite shows. Just some items I have seen seem like they have really low-balled the offers depending on the items.

6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I think it depends on the items. So of them seem to have a small set of collectors. Did you see the $10 notes they bought that one time? They were in really rough shape. I also saw that one $10 star note and I think the serial number was like 99998 - that one I would not have minded having. Haven't really seen any really old coins. I did like the bell they had last from east india trading company also - kind of cool the things they get.

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, those are some fiendish buyers for sure! :D

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Yea I think it's like any place, if you have to set on the inventory for a long time you need to make more for it.
    So if it's a real specialized item that's when they want to get it for even less.

9. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

i watch the show but im not crazy about it since 50% of the time they need an expert to examine what they see anyway. i wonder if they will call in someone to examine the coin.

10. I like that show as well and also would be interested to see if they call in an expert. I doubt it on this case though. My guess is that they must get a lot of people bringing in coins and likely have some price guides/resources on hand. Bet he compares the 1932 S to the 1932 D on the show. TC

11. sweet wheatz

sweet wheatz Senior Member

I don't think "Pawn Stars" rip people off. "American Pickers" is another story though, they are the ones ripping people off.

12. ontime1969

ontime1969 Junior Member

I like the show and I think it is important that they bring in experts all the time. I mean who can be a true expert in coins, ancient edged weapons, guns, cars, clocks and a ton of other weird things people bring in. I have seen many times the expert says it is worth X amount at an auction, and then the Pawn guy says he will not pay that, but the customer still sells it to them for a decreased amount. The customer is always told the true value in these cases, it then becomes item owners "knowledgeable decision" to sell or not. That is what makes it so cool, the pawn shop guy, the item owner and us (the viewer) all hear it at the same time. I think I have even heard the pawn shop owner tell the customer to sell it on heritage if he wants the big money. I don't feel like the owners take advantage of customers because this is a pawn shop, not a B&M antique dealer. I will be interested in hearing what they have to say about this coin as I need both the 32-D and 32-S for my silver Washington quarter collection

Great show and a Great idea of the network to produce this kind of show, Ive always wondered about the inside workings of pawn shops. The old guy is the greatest, I love when he sits and rubs his silver bars.......LOL

13. Lather

Lather Time traver Numismatist

I had a "Friend" that owed me money.. Bugged him and Bugged him about it since I was Moving from Boise Back To San Diego.. He ended up paying me with a MAC computer. right before I left..
    I sold it in Vegas at the Pawn Stars Shop.. Got more then I thought or was owed..
    Found out later it was stolen from some neighbor of that guy..
    I Guess I ripped off them? It was never reported.. And I never would have been part of the theft if I had any clue..
    Must have been 15 years ago now..
    I am sure they lose a bit to theft purchases.. I ended up living in Vegas years later..
    I would go by that shop all the time. I am sure I paid them back several times over sadly... They have some cool stuff.. Vegas is a PawnShop capital.. Its very sad..

Again.. Guys.. I AM NOT a thief.. Never ever!! EVER!
    Just my story about that shop...

14. reiljj00

reiljj00 Junior Member

I agree completely

15. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

People! It is tv! Does anybody not think most of it is staged? Do you really think when the cameras are off that the guy is calling in experts every other time or wasting his time taking off to go visit experts so that he has to pay more money? The guy apparently has been at it for a long time. He has to have a pretty good idea whether something is real or not. I would bet in reality, he rarely uses the experts and either pays people cheap or automatically passes on questionable stuff.

For example, I saw a woman sell a 1914 $20 star note that was all beat up. I guessed it would be worth a couple hundred bucks as it was. He noticed the stars. The woman did not. He called in the expert and the expert gave what it was worth. They ended up paying her $1000 for it. I find it hard to believe that scenario would have played out if the cameras weren't rolling.

I have not watched Pickers but have heard about it and that sounds like even more of a joke. Has anybody actually tried approaching old farmers about rummaging through their stuff? They don't want you there. They don't want to sell anything. The reason they have all this stuff is because they have accumulated it over 50 years and never had any interest in selling any of it. Most are not desperate for money. I believe that show is probably totally staged.

16. sweet wheatz

I actually have approached farmers in the case of old porcelain signs. Where I grew up, there used to be a factory that made those between 1910 and 1960. Whenever they had flaws on them, they would give them to farmers to patch the farm buildings. My brother and I spend lots of time searching for them either from the road looking at barns or on public hunting areas with metal detectors. We would try and give a fair price though.

17. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

Sure. I'm not saying it's impossible because I know people that have found some neat things on farms and bought them. But it's usually somebody that knows somebody.
    I'm sure this show makes it look much easier and more unrealistic than the actual situation is. In reality, you may run into the nicest person you've ever met in your life to someone wanting to chase you off with a shotgun and everything in between. Now, someone selling an old saddle for $75 when it can be sold for up to $5k out west, seems a little unreal. Even in Iowa. Who in their right mind would take $75 for that much leather?? I've got a leather coat that cost me $300!! I just can't believe many people would be that naieve.

18. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

i know its staged. all i meant is that id like to see more of the junk. instead theyre trying to run it like an antiques roadshow with someone who will actually buy your junk instead of just tell you what it MIGHT be worth all the time.

19. sweet wheatz

The saddle is what did it for me. I knew they were ripping him off.

20. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Pawn shops are the worst shops to deal with in the world! They are the very last place ppl go to and yes I've watched the show before and I have had friends lose their stuff to pawn shops. Most of them are really nice guys but they are set up to make money just like any other business.

Pawn shops give ppl loans too!! Why don't they ever show when they are giving ppl loans? That is the way these places really make their bucks!!
    Just go in a pawn shop someday and act like you're gonna do business with them and you will see how it works.

I watch the show once in awhile but TV only shows the most interesting sales, like the son when he bought that boat or when they bought that plane. If you want to really see what these places are made of go in there and try to get a loan. :whistle:

21. raider34

raider34 Active Member

They show the loans too, people can either outright sell their there items, or pawn them (which is just putting up whatever they have as collateral to get a loan). They usually show a pawn every episode or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted