1928-S peace dollar: guess the grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bugo, Jan 17, 2014.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

This coin has never been graded but I'm just curious to hear some opinions of those more educated than I am. The coin means a lot to me, and it has much sentimental value, so comments like "junk silver" or "what an ugly coin" are not welcome. Here it is:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your replies. I love this coin, and I'll never sell it so the value is irrelevant, but I'd like a ballpark estimate of what it would grade at.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

35 or 40

bugo likes this.
  4. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

5. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

VF 35 or possibly XF 40 tops. Nice problem free coin, and decent date.

bugo likes this.
  6. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

"Problem-free" is always good. Thanks for the kind words about my peace dollar.

7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Did you have a look at PCGS photograde online? You should be able to see the difference btw. VF and XF... also compare the coin to slabbed VF35 and XF40 Peace dollars. It works for me :)

bugo likes this.
  8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I think the rev. looks like an XF40, not quite sure though about the obv which seems to be borderline VF/XF.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  9. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I'm still learning how to grade coins...

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Sorry, but I have to disagree about the coin being problem free. Something was done to the obv, not sure what based on the pics but those are not natural surfaces.

11. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

If anything was done to this coin, it was at least 60 years ago as it's been in the family that long and I know for a fact that they didn't clean it. I don't see anybody cleaning a 25 year old coin when it was just another coin. Sorry, but I have to agree that it's a problem free coin.

12. GDJMSP

Do you realize Bugo that harshly cleaning coins was what almost every collector did to the coins in their collection until about 40 years ago ? And it's only been last 30 or so that the number of those who did not harshly clean their coins began to catch up.

13. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

They harshly cleaned 25 year old coins? Were the peace dollars even collectors items in the early '50s?

14. BHPM Trader

BHPM Trader Active Member

Cleaned AU Details

15. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

They were collectors items even before the 50s, as were Morgans, and gold coinage of the 19th, and early to mid 20th centuries.

Coin collecting isn't a young hobby, it's been going on for hundreds of years.

And yes, older numismatists regularly cleaned their coins to keep them shiny.

16. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

17. GDJMSP

Yes, and on a regular basis. That is what collectors thought they were supposed to do up until the late 1970's.

They were collected from the day they were first issued, just like the coins of today are. Where do you think all of them on the market today came from ? They came from the collections of coin collectors, just like all of the coins from the 1800's and late 1700's in this country. And just like all of the coins going to 700 BC from other countries. They all came from coin collectors. With some few exceptions coming from ground finds, shipwrecks, and buried hoards.

BUncirculated likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted