1927 Peace, PCI Grade Guess (pt 2.)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bonedigger, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

OK Team, Here is the coin, take a shot at grading it. The pictures were taken under natural light. All opinions welcomed.

Thanks for looking
    Bone

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

4. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I'll take a stab at it.

Very nice detail. Thinking though that the marks on the obv didnt help the net on this one though. Is that a pretty bad one above her eye?

MS60

5. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

Heavy contact marks in all areas of field makes for generally poor eye appeal has some luster but that could be from the picture. Reverse some contacts in field, wing and leg feathers look weak sorry MIKE, nice looking coin to have but best grade I can give it is AU-58.

6. b.j.

b.j. Senior Member

It has a lot of bag marks and based on the picture, perhaps a slight amount of wear. I'll say AU-55. The Peace dollar's features are so muddled, that it makes grading difficult (one reason I find this the ugliest US coin).

7. vincent2920

vincent2920 Senior Member

Even with that boxing scar above the eye I'll bet PCI still gives this coin a MS62.

8. bruce 1947

Hi Vincent,
    That eye looks bad, I think P.C.I. will send it back to MIKE with no grade, I still give it an au-58.

9. vincent2920

My personnal grade would also be AU58 with the marks.

10. bruce 1947

VINCENT,
    You know after 200 post you are going to have to send me a lobster from Maine.:eat:

11. redhorse

redhorse Member

bonedigger : sorry but au55 is a gift . I think the graders will kick it redhorse

12. vincent2920

That would be spelled L-O-B-S-T-A-H.

13. bruce 1947

Vincent,
    My wife just asked me what I was laughing at, you just made my day :mouth: :smile

14. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Thanks for the guess's. The coin was graded "by PCI" as MS-62, I paid XF money ($55) for it and have sent it to my brother for an AU-53ish 1899-P Morgan. He has several of them and well,... what are brothers for? :)

Take Care
    Bone

15. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Pretty good deal on your part.

No peace dollars look better than AU to me.

16. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Cloudsweeper99 Pretty good deal on your part.

No peace dollars look better than AU to me.

I was going to argue that point. Went and looked at my MS63 PCGS 1928 Peace.. and........................ your right.

17. Morgan Dollar13

Morgan Dollar13 New Member

Wow...I'm sure pcgs would grade it MS60 or send it back...one ugly ms coin imo...I'd much rather have a solid AU58 with a small bit of wear than all those nicks anyday

18. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

19. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

thats because the peace design was just a poor concept to begin with.

Draft saved Draft deleted