1921-D Morgan Dollar GTG & help with a VAM

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jan 19, 2017.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Hello all,

Here is a recent pickup: a 1921-D Morgan with some toning.
    Guess the Grade (photos from the seller) and please help with the VAM number (I figured out a few that it wasn't, so can anyone tell me which one it is?); thank you!

s-l500.jpg
    s-l509.jpg

charlietig likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here are the photos where the seller identified possible characteristics for the VAM:

s-l501.jpg s-l502.jpg s-l503.jpg s-l504.jpg s-l505.jpg s-l506.jpg

dwhiz likes this.
  4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

6. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I'm at 63 maybe 64 since it's Friday. As for the VAM, it doesn't appear on the crack guide or FF damage guide so it will likely be a search and destroy mission.

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yeah but once figured out a crack map should be made for this one. Some are quite distinctive

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  8. Dave Waterstraat

Couldn't agree more!

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

I noticed it wasn't one of the more known vams since those had the line above the "o" in "of" on the reverse.

Thank you to all the participants so far! Grading results will come either tonight or tomorrow.

10. Dave Waterstraat

I'm sure that's one of the "quite distinctive" cracks that Chris was referring to. Unless 2 such cracks turn up buried in the listings, I would possibly call it unique to a single die.

11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

12. Dave Waterstraat

I was going to have a look through the listings after work this evening. Now I'll need to find something else to do. :p

BTW, did one of these show up under your lens in the past?

13. SuperDave

No, it was a Fun With 1921 VAM, JOH-24, and that book is what started me on 1921's. :)

14. Dave Waterstraat

Yes, I just got back from the listing. Great memory SD! :)

15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Dave, if the OP can provide good LFPC's can you Photoshop a crack map and we can post it on VW to have it included?

16. SuperDave

Sure. The VAM could use the LFCP's themselves. And this is certainly a lovely sharp example for them. :)

Cascade likes this.
  17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Hopefully the OP can get good shots. Maybe you can work with him. The obverse shot is just about there so maybe his technique just needs a touch of a tweek.

One of My biggest annoyances with 21 is the abundance of known crackers with no map.

18. SuperDave

I've bought from the OP in the past; I may be about to again. :D

Cascade likes this.
  19. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here is the grade:
    s-l508.jpg

Cascade likes this.
  20. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here are two more pictures (but they probably aren't enough for what you are mentioning @Cascade )

IMG_0107.JPG IMG_0108.JPG

21. SuperDave

@ddddd, these are enough for me to at least build the die crack template for the coin. These templates don't have to be complete since die cracks progress, just accurate in the location of the cracks shown. And this one has a sort of "smoking gun" arrangement on the reverse - the combination of cracks at the D in UNITED, S_OF and D in DOLLAR is sufficiently unique that it should make them an "on sight" attributor of the VAM.

Just for the record, this is (currently) the highest-graded example of the VAM known.

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted