1907 Saint, new pick up !

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mpcusa, Feb 20, 2024.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

One that’s been on my list for sometime
    has been a 1907 Saint found this nice example in A/U 58 so I immediatley
    pulled the trigger :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

4. mpcusa

5. mpcusa

6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Nice, good for you!

7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Awesome Pick-up man! You're going to need a vault now with all those coins of yours. biggrin.gif

mpcusa and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice date. A bit of weak strike as is common of this date but overall a pretty coin

Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Yes, the 1907 low relief Saint is an interesting coin. Now all you need is the High Relief. ;)

Seriously, you might think about getting a 1907 Liberty $20 someday. It's rated as a common date, but it's a lot scarcer than the 1904 which is the REALLY common date.

Mainebill and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  10. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I'm using a dated 2004 Whitman/Bowers Red Book, but I see BOTH coins jumping a ton at the MS-65 level, though much more reasonable at MS-64 and MS-63.

I've only recently been doing some research on Liberty Heads....but if these were commons, how come they are jumping so much at the MS-65 level unlike the common Saints at the same level ?

Are the numbers available for Liberty commons so much less (esp. at the Gem MS level) that you see the premium to gold so high ?

11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The obverse design of the Liberty $20, with the large open fields and big cheek for Ms. Liberty, was much more prone to acquiring marks, which took them out of the MS-65 grade. If you look at the grading census for certified coins, the number of $20 Liberty coins drops dramatically from MS-64 to MS-65. There are far more St Gaudens $20 coins graded MS-65 than Liberty $20 pieces.

Taking numbers from Dave Bowers book on type coins, here is the difference. These numbers are old, but they make the point.

Type III $20 Liberty

MS-64 58,392
    MS-65 1,694

St. Gaudens $20, No Motto and With Motto combined

MS-64 311,026
    MS-65 103,179

I have noted that the standards for MS-65 Liberty have been watered down. Therefore there are more of them with the grade, and price premium has gone down.

I have one more theory, which might be all wet. Perhaps during the St. Gaudens era, gold traders traded paper instead of physical gold. Therefore the bags of $20 St. Gaudens were moved less often and got fewer marks.

Years ago I read that the $20 Liberty would be much harder to find as a type coin it weren’t for common dates like 1898-S and especially the 1904.

12. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Thanks John...great analysis, and even though there are millions of Liberty Head DEs, your point on them not reaching the heights of the Saint DE series are noted.

I really hope that Whitman and/or Bowers do an update on their DE book. I liked Bowers coffee table book on Liberty Head DEs, but it's not a substitute for the data and facts in the Red Book.

13. mpcusa

It will come eventually, I am constantly
    evaluating my collection, and looking for
    interesting coins like this one, I really like
    A/U grades 53-58 and have many the value
    and most of these are problem free just like this one :)

Draft saved Draft deleted