1906/1908 Walking Liberty Silver Dollar? (not a half dollar)

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by novel idea, May 24, 2005.

1. novel idea

novel idea New Member

This is more of a what is it than a what's it worth. Along my travels, I found this coin. It looks, feels and sounds like silver, but what exactly is it? I can't find any reference to any walking liberty silver dollars. I've got a 1906 and a 1908. Anyone have an idea?

Attached Files:

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy novel idea - Welcome to the Forum !!

That is either an altered date or a counterfeit American Silver Eagle. And based on the way the surfaces of the coin look - I'm gonna guess it's an outright counterfeit.

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Welcome to the forum novel.
    and probably a casting. :(

The first year of minting ASEs was 1986.

Are the initials "AAW" visible on the hem?

What does it actually weigh?

(Remember that a troy ounce is about 31.1 grams, or abount 1.1 standard ounces.)

5. novel idea

novel idea New Member

No real scale to speak of...and I don't see an "AAW' on them...but on the reverse under the right claw holding the arrows it looks like the letters "JM", but I'll have to track down a magnifying glass or electron microscope to find out more. It's in about 1 point type. I'm also tossing up a pic of the 1908 coin. I noticed that the 8 on the front looks a bit off.

Attached Files:

6. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

Don't bother doing any serious work on this.

It is a cast (non-silver) fake from China. There are many of them on eBay.

The design is the Silver Eagle design, with an altered date. Not sure why the counterfeiters do that - maybe they feel it gives them some protection from law. Technically speaking, it is not a fake of an existing coin, since a SE does not exist from these years. Then again, I think it is illegal to mark something with a silver fineness if it does not contain that fineness.

7. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Please ignore the "probably" in my earlier posting. After seeing the closeup of the "JM" I have zero doubt. It is a casting.

The initials are those of John Mercanti, designer of the reverse. Real ASEs also have the initials of Adolph A. Weinman (who designed the original Walking Liberty halves) on the hem of Lady Liberty's gown.

8. SERGIO RODRIGUEZ

SERGIO RODRIGUEZ New Member

9. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Maybe a novelty item

10. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

China made fake,get used to seeing a flood of junque from them as their money hits the skids......

11. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I nominate this for zombie thread of the week. 10 years old; good job!

jlogan and Kirkuleez like this.
  12. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

13. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Agreed..wow

coinman1234 likes this.
  14. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Draft saved Draft deleted