1892CC Guess the Grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by raider34, Jun 8, 2009.

1. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Ok, I'll bite. I'm thinking an MS-60.

4. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

AU55 DMPL... Is what I think I might grade it

But... Maybe PCGS said MS62 DMPL

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'll agree with T$ AU-58 , other than the slight wear a beautiful coin .
    rzage

6. AU-55

Your pictures make it look unscathed. Great looking piece!

7. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'm going to say that the photos are bad for this coin. To me, this coin looks AU-50 or so based on the photos. But, I know that poorly struck 1892-CC Morgan's are known. So, since the OP was surprised with this grade...I'm going to say that this coin has no wear but is a poor strike. Combine that with a poor photo that makes the high points look dull (and thus appear as luster breaks)...and you get a very deceptive situation.

So, assuming all that...I'm going to say this coin was graded MS64. The fields are very clean and the coin has few detracting marks. With the strike, I can't imagine it would grade any higher.

8. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Well, I think it has more to do than just the strike
    You can see that the breast feathers have been worn away, because some of them are still faint.
    If this was a weakly struck piece, I don't think it could have this much wear, and still grade at MS64...
    But you never know when PCGS is going to be generous... Goes for any grading company...

9. CamaroDMD

I don't think you can access the strike fully with these photos. The lighting creates an illusion that the luster has been worn off the high points when it may not have been. It very well may be circulated...but I won't be a but surprised to see it grade MS. If it grades MS, because the coin is free of bag marks it should be in the mid-60s. PCGS doesn't tend to worry about strike too much if the coin has nice eye appeal. This coin appears to have nice luster and is mark free. If this is a poor strike, which I believe it is, this coin will be a MS64 minimum IMHO.

Like I said before, 1892-CC are typically a nicely struck year but there are quite a few examples of poorly struck coins. So, this could very easily be one of those. If that is the case, I would pass on this coin because a nice strike can be easily located.

10. rzage

TPGs regulary bump up the grade a point for CC MMs and for rarer dates , that and the almost pristine fields could make a AU coin a MS-63 , jmo .
    rzage

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I go with AU-58 also.

12. CamaroDMD

I agree that CC Morgan's regularly get grade bumps because of the mint...but I can't imagine they would make a coin that was AU into an MS. The coin either has wear or it doesn't, there is no subjectivity there.

13. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

i would say its a 55 but i bet pcgs gave it a 58.

14. rzage

Actually I was reading one of Travers books this morning and he sited an example of BUST HALF with slight but definate wear that was resubmitted and got a 64 , This happens more than you could imagine , and I feel like you that wear is wear , but that's market grading for you , most tpg graders look at the fields if they are nice they routinely forgive minor wear . Stinks to me if you ask .
    rzage:whistle:

15. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

I saw this and do not agree so I will leave it at that - Its a worn piece

16. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

My first thought when I saw the pictures was the luster was broken from wear - that caused the lighter gray color. So I will go with AU58 and probably be wrong.

17. CamaroDMD

I think that is terrible. Wear is wear. If a coin has wear, the highest it can grade is AU59...period. The TPGs need to have some restraint with their market grading.

With this Morgan, I think the lighting makes it impossible to determine if those high points are worn or if it is just a poor strike. The way the high points jump out it looks like the luster has been worn off...but I have a feeling that isn't the case here. I think looking at this coin in hand would reveal something very different.

18. xtrmbrdr

xtrmbrdr Senior Member

If the pics are some what accurate, and I'm sure I'll get lambasted for this but, my grade is EF45, I'll guess the TPG gave it a AU55.

19. raider34

raider34 Active Member

20. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I tend to agree with you and that is why I usually say something about what I see(or try to). I have seen weak strikes just like this in 63/64 holders.

21. CamaroDMD

I would love to see this coin in hand as I have never seen a Morgan quite this poorly struck for a date not known for it. Had this been a 1892-O I wouldn't be surprised in the least but the 1892-CC is considered a well struck date. I think if this coin was in hand one could move it in the light and observe the luster and see that it likely extends over the high points.

That being said, I wouldn't personally buy this coin because it is a date easily found with a nice strike.

Draft saved Draft deleted