1883 O Morgan Guess Grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rhoggman, Aug 27, 2008.

1. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Guess the grade on this Morgan.... just ordered it. Once again I thought t looked nice for the grade, but as mentioned in another thread the coin always looks different in hand.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Man, I love it...that's exactly my taste in these. It's made-to-order gem, IMO. I'm going to start it off at a technical 66-67! Market-wise, that's the business of the TPGs, who, of course, have a much broader perspective, resources and awareness of the current market trends...

Now watch, I'm going to find out it's cleaned... :goofer:

4. SteveMS70

SteveMS70 New Member

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Very clean fields , and I'm guessing the luster looks better in hand , the only thing I can see neg. is the weakness over her ear , MS-66 .
    rzage

6. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

I will say 65. It's hard to see clearly from the photo but the area I circled looks like it could be a clash mark. Nice coin.

[​IMG]

7. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

What signals the clash mark there? Please clue me in. I am not an expert on Morgan VAMs.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd have to say that's the nicest AU55 I've ever seen.

9. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Can you please explain? haha... What exactly makes this coin AU?

10. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

MS 60. Weak center strike, but has some other weak areas that aren't typical of O Morgans, such as the lower hair details and on the reverse wreath. Not a bad coin though, in my opinion.
    Guy~

11. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

Rohhgman, Here is a photo of one of mine that shows the clash mark I was talking about. This is a common clash and adds interest but not enough to be given a VAM number. I have a diagram of where the obverse and reverse dies of morgans line up I'll see if I can dig it up.

[​IMG]

12. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

13. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

Put it up there the wrong way. The clash mark I'm talking about would be the side ways V where the back of Liberty's hair meet her cap. Not the lips.

14. GDJMSP

Sure, wear is what makes it AU. And this coin is a good example of how to tell the difference from a weak strike, which the O mint coins are known for, and wear. Because there is evidence of both on the coin.

We know that wear causes a break in the luster, but so does a weak strike. But there is a difference between the two, the easiest way to notice that difference is color. Areas weakly struck will show a duller gray and not reflect light the same way luster does. Wear does the same thing, but there is subtle difference in the color, wear is usually even a duller gray. But with this coin, there is even a little brown in the mix.

Red arrows point to areas with a weak strike, black arrows point to areas with wear. The difference is easy to see, especially on the obverse, on the hair by the ear and on the ear itself. On the reverse, the waer is most evident on the breast and legs. The wing tip shows a weak strike.

Attached Files:

15. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

I have a lot to learn. I thought that coin showed a lot of mint luster with a very clean cheek and few bag marks.

16. GDJMSP

It does have a lot of luster and it is exceptionally clean. But I can only call them as I see them.

17. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

OK... I guess this is a learning lesson for me.... I thought the coin looked very clean. I paid too much attention to the fields, and not enought attention tot the devices. Nevertheless, PCGS graded this coin MS64. I will definitely add more to this thread once I see the coin in hand.

Attached Files:

18. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

To be honest... I thought what was holding this coin back was the mark to the right of the eye on the upper cheek. Obviously this coin had a weeek strike, but I will have to wait and see.

19. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Mmmm MMMmm Mmmm.

I have probably 20 Morgans slabbed by NGC or PCGS from New Orleans that look just like that. All MS63 or 64. I agree with the Rev brown area, the obv however I can post several MS63's with the same missing hair above the ear.

The OP coin is probably going to hit 63 at a TPG. With that being said, there are alot nicer looking 63's out there if your up to some cherry picking. The strike characteristics of this particular year/mm are all over the board. They used 40 obv dies and 36 reverse dies.

Most of the 1883-O Morgans came to life in 1962 when they were released from the philly mint in sealed bags.

Dang, late submitting my opinion and missed by a point. <----edited to add

20. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Yeah,

There is nothing quite like a rainbow toned 1883-O Morgan Dollar. (photo courtesy of Anaconda Rare Coins)

[​IMG]

:cool:

21. SteveMS70

SteveMS70 New Member

OH MY LORD! That is unbelievable!! You really have some amazing coins, from what I've seen. So far, this has been one of the best you've posted IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted