1849 BRAIDED HAIR PENNY ERROR

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by John Frank 4263, Mar 18, 2023.

1. John Frank 4263

John Frank 4263 New Member

Hello everyone. I am just new to coin collecting and finding coin errors. I'm excited to find new errors in coins all the time. So I need some help on this one.

I purchased this coin from Etsy, not the best place. But it was from a lady that was selling some coins from a coin collection from a family member.

I received the coins and checked them out. All of them were pretty clean bit then I noticed this on my 1849 braided hair penny. It appears to have several strike errors on the right side of the coin. There are also CUDs in the majority of the stars. On the reverse the letters C and E in cent are connected.

Just wanting some advice in the legitimacy and potential value from the community. Thanks for looking and advice. Hopefully I'm sitting on a gem.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It looks like a planchet issue called Lamination.
    It has nothing to do with the striking of the coin.

You need to show the other side of your coin to see the other issue.

This is a Cud. It involves the rim and goes into the field..
    1970SCUD.jpg Capture+_2019-10-15-00-25-55.png

Anything else are IDB - Internal Die Break
    Not Cud

Welcome to CoinTalk

potty dollar 1878 and tibor like this.
  4. John Frank 4263

John Frank 4263 New Member

Reverse

Attached Files:

5. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Small anomalies like that don't add to the value on early copper. There were a lot of planchet issues, so it is actually tougher to find coins without them sometimes. That being said you have a nice large cent, if you are wondering value, probably $20 to $25. I like it, nice!

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Good. Those aren't cuds. Just small die breaks caused by a worn die. Nothing major IMHO

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I agree with all that’s been said. Nice laminations on the obverse.
    Welcome to CT.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Be very , very careful on Etsy and Listia. Lot's of bogus coins on each site. If your pics are good enough for Jack D. Young, then you might want to tag him for his expertise. @Jack D. Young Edit to add-good pics and enlargeable to your good if he picks up on this.

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT @John Frank 4263.
    Reading your post, several things come to my mind (such as it is now). First of all, please post all uploaded photos FULL IMAGE (after you upload a photo, two buttons appear; Thumbnail, and Full Image. Click on Full Image so your photo appears full size in the post.
    Secondly, to clarify for members here, correct terminology is helpful. The "heads" (right side?) side is called the Obverse, the "tails" is Reverse. Reviewing reputable web sites will help you enjoy your coins. Sites like:
    Wexler’s site: http://www.doubleddie.com/1801.html
    Error coin site: http://www.error-ref.com
    Variety Vista: http://varietyvista.com/CONECA Master Listings.htm

I hope these sites are helpful. If you are already aware of them, I apologize. Just trying to be helpful.
    This may also be helpful: Parts of coin
    Name of coin parts.jpg

As for your coin. I see only PMD (post mint damage). the Obverse was hit (more than once) with the same item. The pushed up metal, as noted by the shiny high spots around the marks, indicate this, in my opinion.
    What I'm seeing from the limited photos is a coin that has been in circulation a long time and that has left marks of damage after it left the mint.

Looking forward to more posts and full sized images from you. Good luck.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted