1832 Guess the Grade and Overton

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Dec 2, 2009.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Just bought this one from TwoKopeiki on the NGC boards (if you saw the auction, then you already know the grade). I realized I hadn't bought a Bust in a while, so I decided to go for it :) So, guess the grade and the Overton!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

4. chip

chip Novice collector

I like this one, A variety I need, I will say it is a high ef or low au, and o-113a

5. physics-fan3.14

No, O-113a is not correct - on that one, the obverse is also a late die state. Notice also the differences in the arrows.

6. chip

chip Novice collector

well the date is really low, so is the 50 C.

7. chip

chip Novice collector

It seems to have the filled stripes of 108, but the obverse has better milling than that...

8. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

O - 119 xf45, would not be surprised if this is graded AU50 or so.

9. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

No idea on the variety, grade- ?xf40

10. physics-fan3.14

This is where some of the Overton's can get tricky - it seems to have the filled stripes of the 108 because it does have the filled stripes of the 108. This die marriage uses the same reverse as 108, but a different obverse.

Mark_h got it spot on correct - O-119 graded PCGS XF-45. I agree, it looks like it might be a bit better, but I'll be able to tell better once I get it in hand.

11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Yep - I latched on to the O-108 at first, but the stars did not align. Literaly of course. :) The first star was between and on the O-108 it was LH(if I recall correctly). So I kept going and found the O-119 - and ta da.

Did I forget to mention that is a very nice coin. It is a beauty.

12. chip

chip Novice collector

Nice coin, r-4 between 80 and 200 estimated. I would have gotten it eventually, I have been grading my last one for the past couple of nights.

I was talking to a dealer the other day at a little coin show and he told me that the third edition of overtons is the best, I have the fourth edition, so what edition do bust half nuts on cointalk prefer?

13. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Dr Petersons book is good as is the 4th edition by Parsley. If you want to save some time get both books. Dr. Peterson just released his newest book in the last year or so. Great read.

14. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

What is it's weight? The REV doesn't have on the outer edge the dimples, as on the obv. On pages 220-223 in the Whitman book on Grading Standards, the top of the shield, has too much wear. The front of the cap doesn't look as in the book. But the coin is better than 45, otherwise a nice coin. :)-O)

15. physics-fan3.14

The subtleties of grading CBH's cannot be learned from the Whitman (or really any other) book of grading standards. Each die marriage is unique, and grading must take into account typical strike for the die marriage and date (1832 is usually well struck), die state (late die states give the drawn out effect you noticed on the reverse), and a host of other variables. There are numerous subtypes and redesigned busts over the course of the series, which each must be graded differently. Thus, looking at a single picture of one bust half will give you a wholly inaccurate grade. The subtleties are something you learn with experience over time - even the TPG's get it wrong a good bit of the time.

16. chip

chip Novice collector

I can just imagine back in the day, Bob goes to John and asks, you have that die ready yet, look at how the halves are coming off the press, John says here use this one for now, till I have this one ready, I bet at the time they did not realize how studied their work would someday become, if they only knew....

17. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Well I was actually going for XF-45 myself but it's already posted :D
    I do like the coin alot.
    The reverse on these get bad strikes and the die's don't fill in around the Pluribus alot of times but this one looks strong IMO.
    Nice coin!@!

Draft saved Draft deleted