1827 CBH Guess the Grade and Overton!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Jun 30, 2009.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

This is not a new purchase at all - this was my very first Capped Bust Half. It holds a special place in my collection. Guess the grade and O# - and as you can obviously see, it is raw so there is no right answer for the grade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

VF-35 O-140. Too many varieties for 1827.

4. physics-fan3.14

Indeed there are. They really went crazy with the dies in 1827.

And you are spot on with the grade and O#, as usual. You sure do know your busties!

5. mark_h

Thanks - but I just work my way through all of the varieties. Not an expert by any means - I just like them. I really like the ones you have. I purchased 2 this past weekend and maybe I put up pictures later tonight - I think I have bought every 1820 they have had. :) My local dealer had the most amazing 1828 this past weekend - it would probably grade low MS, but I actually like yours better. This 1828 had toning that was spectacular and I think the price reflected that. I thought it was a high end AU58 coin at MS prices - probably worth it, but not my cup of tea. I think I have one AU coins and all the rest are from AG to XF. I know I spent over an hour down their just attributing and putting my grade on some of the coins.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I'm not a bust guy, so I have no guess for the variety, but I'd grade the coin VF 30 and nice. :)

7. physics-fan3.14

I almost bid on an 1828 on Ebay the other day, but it went too high. I love these VF+ to XF busties - they have exactly the perfect look. I like the choice, original, dark, smooth coins with plenty of detail and that tri-color look. Michael over on the NGC boards calls them "gem circulated cameo" and I think that describes them perfectly - nice and dark, with lighter high points, and a bit of dirt and darker in the corners. Mmmmmm. And with plenty of meat on her so you can see all the details.

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Very nice , I'd say EF-40 , I've seen coins close to this in AU-50 PCGS and NGC holders .
    rzage

9. physics-fan3.14

10. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

My first thought was VF30 so I'll stick with that for now.

Don't have all the varieties memorized so I'll stay guessing that.

11. rzage

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I'd agree, detail wise. However, compare the amount of luster and I'm not so sure....

13. rzage

Thanks for the heads up . I forget that sometimes in grading a circulated coin .
    Rusty:)

14. mark_h

I think your reverse has more details than the link - but when I start comparing the obverse I think I see wear consistent with the VF35 grade on the link. And yes it might very well be XF40 to a TPG. Still a nice coin!

15. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I would have to agree, no question in my mind. VF35

Draft saved Draft deleted