1790 2 Reales Die Error?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Raxc, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Raxc

Raxc Member

So I bought this 1790 2? Reales from a coin shop. Ancients are my area, is this falls outside of it. The owner said it was wrong size die for flan. Neither him nor I are too familiar with these but it wasn't too expensive and I rolled the dice and bought it. Looking closer at it, the die seems right size. Is this some minting error? Is this something that happened later on? I am just curious about what is going on.

Thanks in advance.
    20240301_193328~01.jpg 20240301_193348~01.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Why does the edge look reeded?

4. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

No expert here, but it looks almost as if it were struck once normally and then again (possibly post mint?) with something not right. I'm mainly posting here so that when somebody gets on who knows what they are talking about I'll see it!

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Did someone start to make a finger ring with this?

Neal likes this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Looked a little spooned. but the reeding along the perimeter was in too good of shape. The inner ring is what bothers me.

Neal likes this.
  7. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I do not believe that is reeding around the edge. It is the design denticles that have been distorted by the "damage" to the coin.

Neal likes this.
  8. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Interesting coin! It seems to be a legitimate 2 reales that was hammered along the periphery on the reverse, for what purpose I am not sure. Or, it might be a mint error, possibly a flip strike? Quite odd....

9. Raxc

Raxc Member

The sides are smooth but the reeding is quite confusing. The weight is 6.32g and diameter is 29.06 to 29.41mm.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted