1789 1797 George Washington

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Bujdasz, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Bujdasz

Bujdasz New Member

Hi, I found a coin and I was wondering how much can it possibly be worth, I attempted to search online but not much has helped me. I will toss up a few pics, On the front it says: 1st President U.S.A 1789 1797 George Washington and has a side shot of his head. On the back it says:American Fabius, First in war first in peace first in the hearts of his countrymen served eight years as president without pay, Father of his country. and also has six stars around it.
    please assist me if you can. Thank you...!!!!

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4830/img6786oj7.jpg
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8526/img6790ej0.jpg
    http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1624/img6791dj8.jpg
    http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/1787/img6793zs9.jpg
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5009/img6794ol3.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The same question appears on Yahoo Extra New Zealand.

What you have is most likely a medal. It is most certainly not a coin issued by the US Mint.

Where did you find it? Did you find it with a metal detector buried in the ground? Did you find it in change? Did you find it at a coin show? Did you find it in the US or a foreign country (New Zealand perhaps?)?

Your photos are all way out of focus. Try posting some better pics. Also, if you can post the medal's composition (bronze, copper, silver, etc.), diameter (in mm) and weight (in grams) it would help.

4. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

I may be able to help you, but I would like to see some clearer photos. If you could provide the diameter and weight, that could be helpful, as well as if there are any very small letters that could indicate the diesinker's name or initials.

5. geds

geds Junior Member

I have the same coin. I found it in my father-in-law's coin collection when going through his estate. I am no expert with coins, but it appears to be made of brass or bronze. It is the same size as a 2 shillings coin from Gr. Britain. Any help in valuing it would be appreciated!

Here are better photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dellexitmenu

dellexitmenu New Member

I have the same coin as you. Did you find out it's worth?

7. geds

geds Junior Member

looks like 3 of us have the same coin

I haven't heard anything concerning its value. Please let me know if you find out anything.

Thanks!

8. dellexitmenu

dellexitmenu New Member

OK i haven't heard anything on the Internet but if i find out i will tell you ok.

9. billhilly1974

billhilly1974 New Member

Recently found demolishing a house!!

In my web search on this "coin" that was found while demolishing a house, it led me to this page. My roomate is currently ripping the inside of a house out. He found this coin in the wall. It is a little worn but if it is as old as the dates on it, it's in fairly good condition. Not mint, of course, but fair. It is identical to the ones pictured here with the same markings and wording. It does seem to be either brass or copper as it has a 'tarnished finish'. It weighs about 5.5 grams and is 1 inch in width. (not sure of the metric conversion to figure out mm) Any information on this coin would be appreciated. I have taken some pics and will post as soon as I get them downloaded.

10. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

11. loriell1968

loriell1968 New Member

Got the same coin or medal. Has anyone found anything on it yet? Found this one medal detecting around an old house.

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

13. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

BTW - the regular Washington Quarter is a Commerative that just won't go away and an ugly coin.

Ruben

14. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

The big pics are terrific! Unfortunately, my book specifically on Washington coins, tokens and medals either did not list it or I managed to flip on by it in two fairly thorough examinations in an attempt to find it. You would think with 318 pages of listings of Washington items that it would be in there. The one in the large pics looks to be fairly modern, so there may be a chance that it is newer than my 1999 ref. I found similar appearing portraits and slogans, but no match for the one shown, sorry. The modern ones generally do not have much value, but some of the older examples can bring decent money ($100+).

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

maybe the Franklin Mint?

16. Coinfreak~24

Coinfreak~24 Active Member

wow awesome coins!!!

17. linda206

linda206 New Member

i have the same coin

does anyone know how much this coin is worth???? if you do please let me know asap
    thank you

18. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

one on ebay sold for 5 bucks :)

19. linda206

linda206 New Member

:eek: really???????????

well that sucks, i thought it would be worth more for some reason..
    do you know anything about that coin token or whatever it is haha

20. riddlede

riddlede Junior Member

George Washington coin or token

I have the same coin or token. I found it while cleaning out my grandmother's basement. Can anyone give me the history and value of the coin? I found one spot that said it was manganese brass.

21. crum0202

crum0202 Junior Member

Hey there, i just purchased this george washington coin and a lincoln coin the guy i bought them off of was trying to sell them at 20 bucks i got them for ten. he told me these were tokens that were inside the packs of cigarettes in the 1940's. hope it helps i cant find much info on it but just started lookin today.

Draft saved Draft deleted