Terence Cheesman Top 10 Purchases 2019 Finally Done

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Terence Cheesman, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Okay I have been looking at the threads offered by a number of the members on CT and I have been impressed. However I could not respond as a number of my coins are basically still being photographed so I am going to follow the example of Sallent and Panzerman and post one coin every two days. However I basically got two top ten lists the first being new coins added to the collection and the second list are coins that I have purchase to upgrade and replace existing coins. Okay so here goes Should be noted Coins are in no particular order.
    Coin No 1 Kingdom of Macedon Alexander I Ar Oktadrachm Obv Horseman standing right behind bridled horse. Rv Quadripartite incuses square 492-480 B.C. HGC 753 28.43 grms 32 mm alexanderIocto2.jpg
    Replaced Coin No I Vespasian denarius 79 A.D. RIC 1058 Rv Capricorn facing left globe below 3.43 grms 18 mm vespd19.jpg

randygeki, eparch, Edessa and 46 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Both coins are beauties! The denarius looks like a big chunk of silver (it's heavy too!) and looks like it was minted yesterday. I've got a weak spot for large silver coins, though they are still underrepresented in my collection, and the oktadrachm sure is huge! Could you perhaps show him 'in hand' to get a feeling of the size (assuming your hands are normal sized)?

4. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

That oktadrachm is absolutely stunning, I really like the archaic styled coins from Macedon. I look forward seeing your other beautiful coins.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have no idea what the replaced denarius had as a fault that made it expendable to the point you needed this one to upgrade it. For that matter, I don't know how exactly the two matched. I doubt the replaced coin was as worn as mine and I really doubt you replaced a Titus like mine with a Vespasian. When the mint learned of Vespasian's death, they switched from your coin to mine adding PM on the obverse and PP on the reverse which reassured everyone just who was the big man in town in case anyone had any doubts. The coin also spells out Titus rather than just using the T we commonly see. When posting your upgrades, it might be educational to show both specimens.
    rb1355fd1851.jpg

The octodrachm is stunning.

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

WoWiE! That has got to be the coolest coin of the original Alexander of Macedon that I've seen! And Vespy's portrait is excellent as well. Cannot wait to see what else you have picked up this year!

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I like both for different reasons. The portrait on the Vespasian is exquisite. Almost looks like he could jump right out of the coin. And the details on the obverse of the Oktadrachm is outstanding. No or limited wear that I can see. Both coins would look nice in my collection. :D

9. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

Those are both great coins. Superb examples of the issue! You certainly have an eye for quality.

10. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

First two are awesome! I can hardly wait for the others:)
    Cannot pick a fav. yet....both coins are perfect tens!
    John

11. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Two great coins!

12. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Very impressive! Premium quality and historical significance.

13. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

It's interesting to note the Vespasian Capricorn type also has a rare variant. Can anyone see what it is?

V1058.JPG
    Vespasian
    AR Denarius, 3.21g
    Rome mint, 79 AD
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Head of Vespasian, laureate, l.
    Rev: TR - POT X COS VIIII; Capricorn l. : below, globe
    RIC 1058 (C). BMC 251. RSC 554. BNC 219.
    Ex Harlan J. Berk 138, 1 June 2004, lot 224.

randygeki, shanxi, Spaniard and 6 others like this.
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Other than the crisscross lines on the globe, I don't see the difference. I hope someone points it out as I am curious.

dougsmit likes this.
  15. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Amazing coins @Terence Cheesman. Im curious to say the other ones.

It is the different lines on the globe?

16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Oooh... looking forward to this series! Off to a very nice start, and I like the way you're sneaking in 20 coins. :D

I think Bing and Limes are right - no crisscross on the globe.

17. David Atherton

Correct! The lines on the globe are curving latitudnal lines instead of the commonly seen cross-hatched. I've only seen them on this one reverse die!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Severus Alexander likes this.
  18. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

By opening this thread I was expecting to see outstanding coins.
    Well, they are outstanding

Q

Curtisimo likes this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

What is the term for the three appendages on the front shoulders of the capricorn? They wear away quickly but I saw a couple that suggested there may be dies lacking them. My Titus seems to have one spine top and bottom half way down the body that is lacking on most. I doubt anyone is collecting by capricorn variants but there do seem to be several.

20. David Atherton

I think it represents the division between the hairy upper half and scaly lower half of the body.

21. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Okay I am going to start the next group
    Coin No 2. Kingdom of Macedon Philip II Av Stater 345-336 B.C. Le Rider 47 HGC 844 8.60 grms 17 mm philipII19.jpg Coin No 3 Seleukos I Nikator Ar Tetradrachm Susa 305-295 B.C. Obv Head of Seleukos I ? in helmet adorned with bulls horns Rv. Nike erecting trophy Marest-Caffey Group 1.11 16.97 grms 25 mm SKseleukosI-2.jpg
    Coin Number 4. Lokri Opuntii Ar Stater 370-360 B.C. Obv Head of Demeter left
    Rv. Ajax holding sword and shield advancing right Humphris Delbridge Group 2 9a This coin illustrated BCD Collection 12.26 grms 21 mm lokriop2.jpg Replaced coin no 2 Kingdom of Thrace Lysimachos Ar Tetradrachm Lampsakos Mint. Obv head of the deified Alexander Right Rv. Athena seated left.297-282 B.C. 17.22 grm 30 mm lysimachos8.jpg Replaced coin 3. Antonia Dupondius RIC 92 Minted during reign of Claudius 41-42 B.C. Obv. Bust of Antonia Right Rv Claudius togate standing left 14.26 grms 30 mm antonia1.jpg Replaced coin No 4 Septimius Severus Ar Tetradrachm Laodicae ad Mare 207-209 A.D. Mint. Obv. Bust right laureate and cuirasssed with gorgonieon on breastplate. Rv. Eagle standing facing head left Prieur 1141 This coin illustrated 13.55 grms 28 mm I saw this one in NYC and almost let it get away. laodicsseverus2.jpg

randygeki, eparch, chrsmat71 and 23 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted