[CLOSED] Question to a YN "only" What is a Black Beauty Jefferson Nickel?

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Paddy54, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Ok a short contest for YN's only! The first YN who answers the question correctly wins 5 Proof Jefferson nickels.

"What is a Black Beauty Jefferson nickel? " Post your answers and the first correct reply wins. Paddy

Post a" Black Beauty" as part of your reply and win 10 Proof Jefferson Nickels. :eek:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CBJesse

CBJesse Capped Bust Fanactic

It is a plancet problem causing a black nickel. I think.

4. CBJesse

CBJesse Capped Bust Fanactic

*Sintered plancets

5. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

A black beauty is the result of an improper annealing in the annealing process where leftover copper particles from annealing cents attaches and causes black or dark purple color therefore making it a "black beauty".

6. DaveyJones

DaveyJones Member

Prior to striking coins, the planchets are placed in an annealing furnace to bake so that the metal will be softer and easier to strike. In 1959, some nickel planchets were baked for way too long resulting in the dust in the air to mix with the metal and turning the planchets black. The technical term for this error is improperly annealed planchet or improper alloy.

7. DaveyJones

DaveyJones Member

8. archertiger3

archertiger3 Member

baked to long

(not my pic)

Attached Files:

9. 16d

16d Member

'59 is only one date this affects.

10. The Beatles

The Beatles Member

When a Jefferson goes into the annealing process and it is not handled correctly. They stay in the errr, I supposed it is an 'oven' , too long. This allows for the other materials in the nickel to push through to the top, giving it a darker, dirtier look. They can still look BU and such, but will have a black/dark appearance. They are considered to be called "improperly annealed."

This is NOT my picture, for I do not have a black beauty. This is one I had to find.

Attached Files:

11. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

looks like im too late to this contest :/

12. The Beatles

The Beatles Member

I thought the same thing, but we could all be VERRRRYYYYYY wrong.

13. archertiger3

archertiger3 Member

what is a yn?

14. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

young numismatic

15. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

It is nicknamed the "Black Beauty," because this extraordinary coin gets its distinctive black finish from being sintered, or left in the furnace too long during the annealing process. In 1959, some nickel planchets were baked for way too long resulting in the dust in the air to mix with the metal and turning the planchets black. Also known as an "improperly annealed planchet" or "improper alloy."
    1959-jefferson-nickel-black-beauty-error-coin358849.jpg

16. Paddy54

Black Beauty Nickels were MS only not proof strikes so this is not a picture of a Black Beauty Jefferson.

17. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

If I am correct, that posted "Black beauty" once belonged to Doug, our friendly neighborhood moderator.

18. Paddy54

Dave Jones is the closest to the correct answer : So I will declare him the winner of the Five Proof Jeffersons.
    Black Beauty Jeffersons were first found in 1959 However they were not truly black in color but more like Battle ship grey. Lacking luster as yes the blanks were annealed to long. The dealers at that time used the term Black Beauty as a marketing ploy to sell nickels for the most part were very dull. I have seen in my collecting of Jefferson Nickels two other dates that had the same effect of the over annealed 1959 nickels some in the 1960's issues and also some in 1961. There were to my knowage no proof strikes in any of the 3 years that were over annealed. Thus any proofs were AT or doctored IMHO. So Davy PM your address and I will post you the 5 proofs. Thanks Paddy

19. Paddy54

The picture in post 14 is the only Black Beauty I know of...in all the years I have collected Jeffersons that being now 52 years I have never seen a proof strike coin that was considered by Jefferson collectors as a Black Beauty.

20. The Beatles

The Beatles Member

Congrats Davey! :)

21. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Thousands (if not tens of thousands) of "Black Beauties" were coined...

and I assure you that the one in post #14 is not the only surviving example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.