mercury dime info

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mblackwolf, Jul 8, 2010.

1. mblackwolf

mblackwolf Junior Member

hello again everyone. i am thinking about purchasing some mercury dimes soo thinking of maybe a short set of the 40's is MS condition. Problem is a lot of them arnt slabbed. I was wondering if anyone know some good sites for information on mercury dimes. Im looking for stuff on mint mark locations and styles to spot fakes as well as where to look for wear other than the bands and anything else i am not thinking of off the top of my head. Thanks:goofer:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

I don't know of any web sites, but frankly the coins you mention are very affordable and easily found. As such, there aren't a lot of fakes out there. Most of the ones from the 1940s can be had for under $10 in MS condition, so it's not worth a counterfeiter's time to make fakes.

Have fun; the Mercury dime is my favorite series. I'm only missing the Holy Grail to complete my set (1916-d).

4. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

5. mblackwolf

mblackwolf Junior Member

Thanks i know there wont be many fakes in the 40's but i would like to read up on the coins such as what the high points are so i know where to look for wear and eventually i will probably expand the set to cover all the dates and then i will definately need the info like with the 1916-D. Thanks for any info you guys can give me

6. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

7. Stewart

Stewart Searcher of the Unique

8. mblackwolf

mblackwolf Junior Member

yeah it seems like dime guy beat you too it lol. thanks guys i do appreciate it. i have always loved the design and am looking forward to getting some in really great condition.

9. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that up to 50% of uncertified 1916-d Mercury dimes are counterfeit. I've resolved only to buy a certified coin when I make that leap someday.

10. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

There is this huge deception with mercs that the 1916D is the holy grail. although it is a key there are plenty of coins not far behind and some that are more valuable than the 1916D

11. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

It very much is the Holy Grail for a Mercury collection! Of course there are other, more rare, and more expensive coins out there, but not in the Mercury series. The last F12 I saw was going for over $1500! Even the 1942/1 varieties cost about half as much in the same condition.

12. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

yes there actually is in the mercury series

13. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

15. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Rueben you had to ask didn't ya??? LOL!!! Well this time I will direct you to a different site that currently has 27 of these coveted 1916D dimes for sale. Please notice the AU58 with full bands as I remember earlier in the week a member stated that full bands can only be found on MS coins, enjoy

1st 1916D Full bands http://www.collectorscorner.com/Products/Item.aspx?id=6751396

2nd 1916D Full bands http://www.collectorscorner.com/Products/Item.aspx?id=7142600

3rd 1916D Full bands http://www.collectorscorner.com/Products/Item.aspx?id=7084482

27 more of the coveted dimes
    http://www.collectorscorner.com/Category/Category.aspx?catId=703

16. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

I have been looking for a 1916-D PCGS in VF for about 6 months now. I have never seen the collectors corner website before. Has anyone used this site before to order?

17. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Never used it directly but i work with a roosevelt dealer on there.I would imagine if any of them were scum PCGS would give them the boot

18. BigChiefFan

BigChiefFan New Member

Those are really cool design. What's the going rate for Mercury's slabbed and unslabbed?

19. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

That depends on the FB designation... that really is the key to Mercs. The Mercs I pulled out of rolls today (I saw you commented in the roll searching thread) are worth maybe $1.50 each. Very common in lower grades during the late '30's and 40's. If you're interested in collecting them, go for MS examples with the FB or FSB designation. It'll hit your pocket harder, but they're beautiful and will retain/appreciate in value far better than others. I'm quickly learning I prefer slabbed coins as well... got my first PCGS slab a couple weeks back and now I'm addicted.

20. BigChiefFan

BigChiefFan New Member

Thank you for the quick response. I haven't been able to buy slabbed, yet, because I don't know enough about it. That why when I buy, I go for pure silver or 90%. I'm interested in finding out more about it.

21. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

BTW, worth noting, if you're gonna buy slabbed, target PCGS and NGC slabs, they're the most respected. ANACS isn't too bad either (Generally perceived to be heading downhill slowly but surely), but almost every numismatist will prefer PCGS or NGC to ANACS. One last note about slabs... buy the coin, not the slab... can't stress that enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted