19th century coins within the Austro-Hungarian Empire

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by rtatchyn, Sep 19, 2005.

1. rtatchyn

rtatchyn New Member

Hello everyone,

this post is to request information from any expert on 19th century European coins, but in particular those of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, pre-1845 Poland, Czechoslovakia, and Russia.

What do I seek specifically? What do I know already?

What I wish to know:

equivalent value(in grams mass of silver or gold) of:

Russian ruble (100 kopeks) (ca. 1830-1892)
    Polish zloty (30 groszy) (ca. 1830-1892)
    Czech zloty rynsky (I think 30 groszy also) (ca. 1830-1892)

Also, the exchange rates among these coins and the Austro-Hungarian gulden and thaler.

Also equivalent information on the halahan (I think it was a 4-kreuzer coin).

What I know already:

from
    http://www.oenb.at/en/ueber_die_oen...schichte/gulden/gulden_and_krone_currency.jsp

I isolated adequate information on the gulden, its silver equivalent value, and the kreuzer. Also info on the Empire's vacillations between soilver and gold standards and its paper currency.

Any knowledgeable input or reference is sincerely welcome.

rtatchyn

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy rtatchyn - Welcome to the Forum !!

If I understand your questions correctly, this may be helpful.

Russian rouble - 1811 through 1885, 20.7300 gm - struck in .8680 silver with ASW of .5785 oz.

1886 - 1898, 19.9960 gm - struck in .9000 silver with ASW of .5786 oz

Polish zloty 1818 - 1834, 4.5500 gm - struck in .5930 silver with ASW of .0872 oz

1832 - 1841, 3.0700 gm - struck in .8680 silver with ASW of .0857 oz

The Czech Republic didn't exist at the time and I can't help you with the exchange rates of the period.

4. rtatchyn

rtatchyn New Member

Thank you for replying. Your information was precisely what I was seeking.
    I am still seeking the same type of information on the 19th century Czechoslovakian zloty rynsky, viz., its weight and ASW.

Many thanks,
    rtatchyn

5. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

As GD has already mentioned, Czechoslovakia didn't exist as a state in its own right in the 19th century. It was part of the Austro - Hungarian Empire, and as such would have been using typically Austrian money.

I have no knowledge of the term `zloty rynsky' (?) I take it that it must have been a local name for a specific coin perhaps? If you could provide clarity on that or whether it just means `spending money' then giving you information would probably be a lot easier.

Draft saved Draft deleted