A book review/recommendation...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vess1, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

History of the United States Mint and It's Coinage, by David W. Lange Whitman Publishing.

I've just about finished this book and I would highly recommend it to everybody on the board. It's 187 pages, with a lot of very good illustrations and quite easy to read.

I've learned a great deal from this book. It has given a lot of perspective. I knew many things and was somewhat aware of others, but I have to say this book filled in the details for me. It goes into detail without going too in depth. The story unfolds at a good pace.

For example, I knew about Trade dollars. I knew they were intended for trade overseas and used extensively with China. But other than that I didn't know much. The situation and circumstances that surrounded them is explained very well in the book.

As the title states, the book rolls out, mainly in chronological order, how the U.S. mint has gotten to where it is today. Including the debates over where they should be built, costs, the political figures involved and problems and successes that were encountered along the way. Specific chapters are designated for specific mints and why they were put there.

Along the way, they interject one to two page columns talking about the coinage that came along as time progressed, along with the mint directors, sculptors and the engravers who designed the coinage. (Not every coin is broken down. Primarily just the designs that came into being.)

The illustrations include old photos, paintings, old drawings, letters, newspaper articles, political cartoons from the times, along with many quotes and additional info listed on the edge of most pages.

I think everybody here would love this book and will be surprised by what all is in it. I borrowed it from a friend but I decided to buy my own copy as well. It turned out to be a must have for my library.

1 person likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Yes that is a very good book. I learned a thing or two about Fugios that I was previously not aware of using this book. I picked my copy up at Barnes & Noble but they also have it at wizard coin supply. :)

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I have that book. You're right - it's a good read.

5. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I've seen that book on tables at the coin shows. Usually lost amonst all the other books Whitman now publishes. I'll have to see how much it is at the next show.

Draft saved Draft deleted