Morgan or Peace dollar - best design

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kvarterto, Dec 6, 2008.

?

Best design: Morgan or Peace?

1. Morgan dollar

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Peace dollar

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  1. kvarterto

kvarterto Senior Member

Am I the only one preferring the Peace dollar over the Morgan dollar?

I think the Morgan is overrated. It's not ugly, by all means no, it's just a bit...dull, nothing special, really. It was the same old style over again. The Peace dollar presented a new design, Lady Liberty in a form never before seen. She looks more powerful on the Peace dollar, almost like a virago :cool:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

I much prefer the Peace Dolar, actually they are my favorite coin. The things I don't like about the Morgan are the cost of some and a lot of bag marks on the vast majority that I've seen. I understand why the bag marks are present, I just don't like them.

4. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

There was this exact same poll not long ago. Peace dollars suprisingly lead for a long time, but eventually the Morgan won.
    IMO, its the Morgan, hands down. The Peace, I think, is the dull one. There is NO detail. With a big coin like a silver dollar to work with, you should come up with more than just outlines.

5. b.j.

b.j. Senior Member

The Morgan has an excellent design of the obverse and reverse with many details and is an overall interesting coin. The Peace obverse has no detail and is overall blurry and difficult to appreciate. I do like the eagle on the reverse.

6. kvarterto

kvarterto Senior Member

Uh, I´m sorry :( If I knew I wouldn´t start a new poll this soon.

7. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i keep telling you guys the goeberct dollar is the way to go but no the fixation with morgan and peace continues

8. $incere

$incere New Member

I dissagree, i think the morgan is much better, even though the peace dolar design is beautiful and when you find one in a high grade it is beautiful. But it doesnt match or even come close to a Deep Cameo 68 Morgan.

Also, the patterns of 1879 and years around 1877-1885, precisely the the J-1643 $20 GOLD "Stella Look" Double Eagle... BEAUTIFUL COIN....

Nothing about the peace dollar really pops for me, but a deep cam morgan catches my eye everytime...

9. $incere

$incere New Member

AGREE... :) Love mine

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

how about a pic then. those things are a sight for sore eyes :D

11. dready

dready Coin Hoarder

I agree. Well said....................John

12. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Morgan, with all the beauty that was left off the peace design.

13. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

too hard to pick

I like them both about the same so ,this is no vote for me!

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Yeah, whatever. The Bust Dollar makes all others go... bust!

[​IMG]

Anne Willing Bingham was much more attractive than Anna Williams.

15. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Not at all. There are many who prefer the Peace design.

I admire both, and value them each in their own way. But hey... that's just the way us type collectors think. :rolleyes:

Two things favor Morgans - strong strike and prooflike.

Peace dollars are so commonly poorly struck, and I've never seen a Peace DMPL.

And toning... there are very few Peace dollars with attractive toning.
    Yes, I think the Peace design is bold. But is it really "Liberty in a form never before seen" ? In some ways yes, others no.

Compare the visage of Liberty on the Peace $1 and Indian $10. The $10 was issued 14 years before the Peace.

16. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Ahhhhh yes..... Anne Bingham. Yes, she's quite a beauty. :kewl:

A childhood sweetheart, now a lifelong companion ! :hug:

17. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

I have a daughter named Morgan, but I chose the Peace dollar. One foxy girl there. The woman on the Morgan looks like she weighs 300 pounds.

18. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

This was posted already so here's my favorite coin it;s not a morgan but a beauty.
    jazzcoins joe:eek:

Attached Files:

19. grizz

grizz numismatist

morgan or...................................

i agree, the peace dollar really does have a "looker" on the obverse. in addition she was an actual woman that modeled the coin. i like the morgan also and both for another reason..............they actually are made of silver! i also like the large size.

20. skrilla

skrilla That Guy

I prefer the Peace reverse.

21. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Yeah that was me. :D

Peace dollar by far.

Draft saved Draft deleted