CAC ? 1 more way to make you pay more?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jello, Nov 22, 2008.

1. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Good or Bad
    *Or just 1 more way to make you pay more for your grade coin?

Attached Files:

• CAC.jpg
      CAC.jpg
      File size:
      99 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

a way to get you to certify yourself as an idiot

4. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Someone was trying to sell me a coin and make a big deal about a little green sticker saying it makes it worth more..

5. luc87

luc87 Lmcoins

I agree with you.

6. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Who's certifying CAC? I need....no, demand triple assurance my coins are properly certified!
    Guy~

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

What about - don't care. I am not really sure what they mean - grade the graders? Or is it just a choice coin for the grade. Plus I agree - another way for sellers to try to validate premiums on some coins.

8. fireguy83

fireguy83 Member

so if send it to them and it does not get the little green sticker it not properly graded pcgs or ngc????? got to have 4th party grading on th 3rd party graders. just a thought

p.s have blue sticker for the green lol

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

It doesn't mean anything to me. I have seen CAC coins that I didn't agree with the grade. I won't pay a premium for a slabbed coin...I pay be willing to pay a premium for the coin inside the slab over it's grade, but the slab doesn't influence that.

10. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

You all seem to feel the same way about CAC stickers as I do about slabs.:rolleyes:

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Slabs have value...look at the last Peace Dollar I brought which is likely body bag material.

CAC STRICKERS?

Yah think though can be reporduced in Mexico? Cointalk should make stickers. Submit your coin to peter, put it on the forum for consensus grading and Peter can ship it back with a sticker...

Ruben

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is just a step to fractional grading by the TPGs. Since most feel there is sill differences between ( example) a 63 and a 64, they try to quantitize that. I have read accounts for former TP Graders that they had an A,B,C internal marking until the finalization. CAC is saying they can recognize the "C" group and identify them with the green sticker. Probably most experienced collectors could also. The label is for those who can't, or won't take the time to learn. I expect sometime for a TPG to issue 63.1, 63.2....63.9 grades, or maybe the A,B,C grouping ( 63A, 63B,63C).

TPG service is all about selling the "appearance" of their education and experience. If you have the education and experience, then you need neither TPG or CAC. If you are shakey about your skills and knowledge, then you aren't buying the slab, you are buying their experience and knowledge.

Jim

13. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

There are lots of ways to do that... I don't need CAC. ;)

14. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Acording to CAC there's 3 subgrades in each grade , 1. low for that grade 2. average for that grade 3. high in that grade ( almost to the next grade ) CAC says their sticker assures you it's either 2. average or 3 high for that grade .
    rzage:thumb:

15. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

You hit the nail on the head there pretty much.

16. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Personally, I've always felt the whole CAC thing appeals to the would-be crack-out artist... guys who think they have a better chance of upgrade due to the sticker.

17. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

We are at post number 15 in this thread and not one person has posted in support of the CAC. Well here it is. I like TPG's and I like the CAC even more. Will I ever submit my coins to the CAC? Only if they are expensive and I am looking to sell them. Now I know what everyone is thinking; you want the CAC sticker so you can get a higher sale price. No, that is not the reason, and not the reason the CAC was created. The CAC was founded in order to accomplish what the TPG's tried to accomplish when they were founded: to create a sight unseen market for rare coins.

I hear members of this forum say all the time, buy the coin not the slab. But what if you can't see the coin. There are many collectors like myself that don't have the time or ability to attend the major coin shows in order to personally view their coin purchases. I have to judge my potential purchases using only a photo. My guess is that most members of cointalk would agree that you can't properly grade a coin from a photo, which would make the coin sight unseen. If the TPG assigns the grade, and then the CAC confirms that the assigned grade is good for the grade, it all but eliminates the possibility that the coin is over-graded and allows a buyer to purchase an expensive coin sight unseen.

If you want an example, I will give you one. I have posted a photo of this coin several times including once earlier this week. The coin is a 1942-P Silver Jefferson Nickel NGC PF66 CAMEO. However, I never posted the Heritage photo that I had to use to grade the coin. Well here it is on the right. The value of this coin rests solely on the validity of the CAMEO designation in the amount of over $2,000. There is no way to tell from the Heritage photo if this coin is an actual cameo or not, and I am not about to gamble over $2,000 on that photo. This coin was in a Heritage Signature auction about one month after the inception of the CAC and was one of the first coins to get a CAC sticker. The CAC sticker reduced the odds that the coin was not a CAMEO significantly so that I could gamble on the results. I was pleased when I got the coin in the mail and saw the beautiful cameo shown in the left hand photo. If this coin had not been CAC stickered, there would have been no way for me to even place a bid on a coin that I have desperately wanted for years.

[​IMG]

When I look at making a bid on an expensive coin that I am at all unsure about the assigned grade, I look for the CAC sticker as insurance. Doug has astutely pointed out that he has never submitted a coin to a TPG for grading. I say the same thing about the CAC. You don't have to send your coins to the CAC and spend the money to get them stickered. As far as the sticker driving up the prices of coins, I don't mind that either. If you pay a premium for a CAC stickered coin, chances are good that you will recoup that premium when you sell it (assuming CAC doesn't collapse). If you pay normal price for a coin without a CAC sticker, what are the chances that you will lose a significant amount of money at sale time because you purchased a coin that was low end for the assigned grade? I think of the CAC as an insurance policy for the grade of your coin and don't mind paying a little more for the peace of mind.

OK, flame away!

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

CAC stickers are good only for PF70 Ikes

Ruben

19. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Want a discount? rip off the CAC sticker...

Ruben

20. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Whats to stop someone from slabbing and CACing a bunch of moderns and then taking a heat gun to the stickers and putting them on other coins?

21. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Nothing as long as they can also hack into CAC's database and add the serial number of the coin they are affixing the sticker to. You can check the validity of every CAC stickered coin online in seconds.

http://www.caccoin.com/?page_id=8

Good question though.

Draft saved Draft deleted