Let's see your Repunched Dates!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by clembo, Nov 21, 2008.

1. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinfreak~24

Coinfreak~24 Active Member

wow nice find!!!

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

what's the date & denomination?

I took this picture so up-close, I think it creates a good trivia question. Do you know the date & denomination of this cameo proof? (No you don't get the coin if you guess it).

Very best regards,
    collect89

Attached Files:

5. jon67

jon67 Loves Lincoln's

I say 1885 V nickel

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Not an 1885 but it is a Liberty Nickel

Very good guess. It is not an 1885 but it is a Liberty Nickel.
    Very best regards,
    collect89

7. fastfun1111

fastfun1111 Senior Member

I would guess its an 1884 nickle.

8. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

1960 Colombia 1 Centavos RPD with Severe Die Clashes, Die Breaks & Die Breaks!

Hey C.T. Folks,

Here are a couple of pictures of just the Date of my' 1960 Colombia 1 Centavos with a strongly shifted Repunched Date! I am sorry but I did not included any pictures of all of the other problems that this coin has since they are hard to capture in pictures. However, the coin has Strong Die Clashing all over the Obverse and Reverse and Strong Die Breaks and Die Cracks on the Reverse.
    Click on both pictures to zoom in...especially on the botom picture which has arrows pointing to portions of the first Date punching.

Enjoy!

Frank

Attached Files:

9. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

That is just horribly amazing!;)

Looks like a 5 year old's writing.

10. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Yeah it's bad! It is apparent that a Mint worker attempted to clean up the Die somewhat as quite a bit of the evidence of the first(?) "6" has been ground away. From the apparent positioning of the first(?) "1", "9" and "6" in the Date compared to the far offset positioning of what may or not be the first "0", I somewhat believe that it may have been triple punched. The "0" is just too far to the Southeast compared to the other digit's positions!

Frank

11. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Yes, it is a 1884 proof nickel.

Very best regards,
    collect89

12. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Hey C.T. Folks,

I thought you might enjoy some close-ups of the Date digits on the 1960 Colombia One Centavos! I used a Radio Shack 20-60x Mini-Microscope to aid in taking these pictures. As you can see, there is little to see on the "1" but there is a nice shift on the "9" and "6" with a significant shift on the "0" in the Date. There is no triple punching evident, so i have surmised that the Colombians use single digit Date Punches.

Frank

Attached Files:

13. efletche

efletche New Member

It's an 1884 proof. There is a similar repunched date fro the bsiness strike as well. Nice coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted