Zippo Lighter Fluid to claen coins..??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cdb1950, Apr 19, 2005.

1. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Zippo Lighter Fluid to clean coins..??

I was recently asked to evaluate a stamp collection. Had to identify watermarks and such. The stamp guy said I could spend a ton on a special fluid that would moisten the stamp and highlight the watermark without damaging the stamp, or I could use Zippo lighter fluid. It dries completely, leaving no residue on the stamp, apparently. I did some experimenting and, sure enough, it worked just as the philatelist said it would. After having spent years losing brain cells to acetone fumes, I thought it would be interesting to see if this lighter fluid would work on coins. It seems to work every bit as good as acetone and doesn't appear to leave any residue. I've got coins that were cleaned about 4 years ago and they still have the same surfaces they had after they were cleaned. I store my coins in Kointains.

Zippo lighter fluid is much purer than Ronson, so don't get them mixed up. Ronson lighter fluid WILL leave an oily residue.

Anyone ever tried this? Comments?

P.S. - The same advice applies, use in a well ventilated area and no smoking.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Hmmmm - it's a petroleum product isn't it ? Won't leave a film ?

MIght just be me - but I wouldn't wanna bet my coins on that. Or my stamps.

4. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Acetone is also a petroleum product....

5. GDJMSP

I know - I'm against using that too ;)

Understand cdb - people can use whatever they want on their coins - the coins belong to them. But when I'm asked what my opinion is - I usually give it.

6. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

A true purist. Cool!

7. GDJMSP

Well there are plenty of others who don't quite see it that way :eek:

8. grovey

grovey New Member

Lighter fluid WILL REMOVE glue and residue. I collect and sell antique toys also. I have received things wrapped in scotch tape. The lighter fluid will disolve the glue to the point that you can lift the box label that was stuck on the tape off of the tape and place it back on the box. I have used it on old books also. it dries instantly and like i said removes tape and glue. I have lifted otherwise very stuck scotch tape or other tape off of books. without harming the pages at all.
    I restored a star wars box for someone. that was wrapped in christmas tape. took me 2 days but it came out awesome.
    now as for coins and harming them with lighter fluid...No.. I just wouldnt do it.

:eek:

9. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

I normally get some diesel fuel to clean my coins.

:D

10. KLJ

KLJ Really Smart Guy

I find that you should soak coins in bleach overnight. The chlorine gets rid of just about everything. Toning, dirt, ... , design. :D

11. SilverDollarMan

SilverDollarMan Collecting Fool

GD, why? Is it the act or the method? thx :)

12. GDJMSP

Why what ? Do you mean why am I against using acetone ? Because I do not believe it is harmless to coins.

13. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Now I have used acetone and still do if a coin has PVC but I sure don't like too....I try to sell them as soon as I can...even if I lose a dollar or two.

I would have to agree with GDJMSP that I have found that it is not the best for coins.

Speedy

14. Golden Pennies

Golden Pennies New Member

As for cleaning coins im against it. I used to think it might have been ok. Then when I really started coin collecting my friends would bring me coins. They all were really shiny but had almost no detail :( I figured out they were cleaned and have been against it ever since. It justs ruins them and its kind of sad to see rare coins that are cleaned because now there is one less of them. I dont recomend trying it, but I would like to see it done.

15. Spider

Spider ~

i 2nd u golden pennies

16. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

I acid dipped a few Morgans (sorry, MorganFred) back in the '70's, but saw early on that it was really bad for them. I still use acid dips for incredibly corroded coins.

MS70 is my current cleaner of choice for coins that have harmful organic contaminants, and acetone or Zippo lighter fluid for synthetic residue. And lots of water. I blow dry with inert duster spray.

I know some folks out there are shuddering, but some coins just need to be cleaned/preserved for posterity. Have to decide the lesser of 2 evils, either clean a coin or let contaminants continue to dine on the coin's surface.

17. GDJMSP

Don't misunderstand me - I am all in favor of removing harmful substances like PVC and verdigris from coins.

But plain ordinary dirt such as that which accumulates during circulation is not really harmful. Neither are most forms of toning. Too many collectors cause unnecessary damage and actually lessen their value by trying to remove dirt & toning. They just want the coins bright & shiny.

18. LETSBUYCOINS

LETSBUYCOINS New Member

Gasoline

MEchanics and machinists wash engine parts and tools in gasoline. As far as using any kind of fuel to clean coins, I dont know if it would work, but it sounds like a big mess and a waste of time. For coin collecting, sounds obsessive. just leave dirt and tone on the coin. how bad could it be? if its a common coin, who cares. if its rare, then the dirt wont matter.

19. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

I love dirt on my circ coins! Gives 'em character and a sense of history. You never know whose DNA you might find mixed in with the dirt.

20. Spider

Spider ~

maybe elvis???????

21. dimedude

dimedude New Member

How about using Brighto - the stuff the 3 Stooges were selling in that one episide. That stuff took paint off a car!!! Brighto makes old bodies new...

Draft saved Draft deleted