Ziploc & PVC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by eealopez, Feb 15, 2010.

1. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

I emailed both Ziploc and a vials.com (pharmacy bottle distributor) asking if their products contained PVC. Ziploc replied: Thanks for asking about Ziploc® Brand Freezer Bags. This product is not formulated to contain PVC.

Vials.com replied: Our prescription vials are made of polypropylene (PP) and our liquid ovals are made of polyethylene (PET). We do not carry any products made of PVC.

My inquiry to Ziploc and Vials was to determine if they would be an inexpensive and temporary means for storing coins and protecting them from moisture.

I have several Littleton folders, along with silica, stored in the Ziploc freezer bag. I do not have any coins stored in a prescription bottle, but was considering stacking coins in the prescription bottle, again with silica.

Do any of you have any advice? I plan to leave the Littleton folders in the Ziploc for about 8 months before I move them into a storage binder and safe. I really don't have any plans to use the prescription bottles, but put the question to the manufacturer out of curiosity.

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t77512/#ixzz0fd5kI0ij

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Ziplock freezer bags provide excellent protection for short or long-term storage of coins. However, I would not use them as a sole layer of protection. I recommend coins be placed in 2x2, airtites or tubes first and then placed into a ziplock bag with a dessicant pack and a harshly cleaned BU copper cent. Clean the copper cent thoroughly with an SOS pad and rinse well. The cent will act as a sacrificial metal in case any gases enter the bag.

Tunakahuna13 likes this.
  4. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

Do the Littleton folders offer any secondary protection or do I need to use the 2x2 for protection. Thanks for the tip on the copper cent.

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Iam not sure, But it wouldnt hurt to add the protection just in
    Case!!

6. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

Littleton claims 'archival quality' on its folders. I guess I should ask Littleton what they mean by archival as it relates to coin protection.

7. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Great research. Thank you for posting your findings.

8. Info Sponge

Info Sponge Junior Member

I haven't tried this, but you can get the copper equivalent of steel wool and since it would expose more surface area than the cull cent would, it should be more effective at soaking up coin-damaging gases.

9. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

A good rule of thumb for coin storage is if it is safe for food, it will not contain PVC.

Draft saved Draft deleted