Your Rarest RAREST Coin of All Time.. All Time!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BNB Analytics, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Hey guys, BNB here with another curiosity thread..

I am curious to know what you all on the forum value as your most rare most precious coin.

I hate to pre-qualify, but I have to.

No cheap under $500 coins, sorry. They have to be worth at LEAST $500 and up.

Mine would be the 1937-D 3 Legged Buffalo Nickel.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

It's not my rarest coin, but it's my most valuable. I have a 1925 St. Gaudens Double Eagle.

[​IMG]

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

(1) Do we have to still own it? And define rare? That should make this more interesting.

5. CamaroDMD

I agree, there is a vast difference between "rare" and "valuable." Since coins worth over $500 is the requirement for this thread...then it's not about "rarest" coins it's about "most valuable" coins. My Double Eagle has a mintage of 2.8 million which makes it a common coin for the series. I have plenty of coins that are rarer.

6. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

You guys are going to get sick of seeing this coin :goofer:.

[​IMG]

Philip I
    AR antoninianus
    Rome, 247-248 AD
    blank obverse
    AEQVITAS AVGG
    Aequitas standing facing left, holding cornucopia and scales

I (and others) are of the opinion that this is a reverse brockage and a late state brockage, which is why the obverse has no strike! Very unusual!

stainless

7. mark_h

Mines a 1924. :) I think my lowest minted coin might be my 1878 proof shield nickel.

8. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

I see the $500 thing in the OP now. After re reading it.

But, I posted anyways. BNB. take that part out, my coins aren't cheap, and neither are others just becuase we didn't pay $500 for them.

stainless

9. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

How about a 1946 inverted "S" lincoln cent. Extremely rare. ?? $100 ??

10. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

Most valuable? 1799 dollar, PCGS VF20.

Rarest -- dunno. Maybe my circulated 1938-D Buffalo? :)

11. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

do not have any more coins..but have a few rare notes..:)

RickieB

12. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I guess none of my coins are particularly rare as the mintages are not super low on any except for maybe some of my Matte Proof Lincolns or my First Spouse Coins :)

But I do have many that are rare based on their condition. This one is definitely not my most expensive coin, nor is it a top pop coin like some of my others, but I think my 1909-O quarter is definitely one of the my most "rare" based on how infrequent it is available in similar grades. Plus there are only a few graded higher and most of them are in pretty strong hands.

[​IMG]

ancient times likes this.
  13. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Okay, there really shouldn't be more to this thread than it being your rarest coin. It can be one you own or a fantasy. It don't really matter ;) but there can only be one and it has to be "in your mind" the rarest coin most valuable coin of all time.

14. tauferners

tauferners On a quest for knowledge

My rareset, most precious coin is the first one that my daughter and I started our collections together with. We both started with 1941S walking liberty halves. I have not looked up the current book value or mint numbers but I can guarantee you I will not sell for $500!!

15. mark_h

Gotcha ....but I don't own one of those coins yet. But one day I will.:)

16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'm with you stainless , the amount paid for a coin doesn't make it rare , unless you're talking $500,000 , and then there will be coins that are rarer that cost $50 .
    rzage:):hatch::hammer:

17. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Well, the strict generalization is that your rarest coin is not less than $500. I am not talking about your favorite coin here, but your rarest. Big difference.

18. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Rare and valuable are not the same. Many beginners get the two confused. I have some Franklin FBLs of which there are only 30 or so, but not worth a whole lot. However, I have this 1806 half, which is an R-5 (30 or so known), and which is also rather valuable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Who's "strict generalization?" Yours? If not yours, show me a source.

How do you come up with the conclusion that the rarest coin in ones collection is $500, mine cost me $50 and my second (my avatar) cost me $140something?

Did it ever hit you that a lot of us can't even THINK $500 coins, more less buy them?

As Rusty said:

Keep reading this until you get it. Notice he never used the word "favorite" in his entire post.

But, if it's a fantasy, no one can own it because it doesn't exist...so, how can it be my rarest?

Rarest and most valuable don't mix well.

stainless

20. CamaroDMD

No, you are talking about "most valuable" not "rarest." My rarest coin is not worth over $500, but it is my rarest. My rarest coin is probably my 1893 Morgan Dollar or my 1985-P Jefferson Nickel on an improperly annealed planchet...but both are much less valuable than my 1925 Double Eagle.

21. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I would post a picture, but my rarest coin sells below 500$
    and my most expensive sells more then 500$
    big difference BNB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.