Worth buying US mint proof Gold Platinum and Silver sets for investment?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jetskifast, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Jetskifast

Jetskifast Junior Member

Been buying Gold, Platinum and silver mint sets, from Mint for years. Values have not really increased that much:( My 1997 UNC platinum 4 coin set only set which has given any increase in value. I buy mint coins more for beauty than investment. Are mint proof sets really worth buying for investment?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stay away joe

stay away joe New Member

Precious metals seem to run in cycles :pencil: It was not that may years ago gold had bottomed out along with other precious metals. :vanish: But in the last few years they have been having a very good run at and setting new high marks. :whistle: Even though the coins are given a monetary amount I think they are still considered bulllion and are subject too current market values. For best results in investing in Gold/Silver ect. you should buy precious metals. When the price is low and sell when they seem to top out. :thumb: concerning proof sets: I think they are a good investment. Because they are made just for that, and not for circulation. Coin values have and will always depend on condition/Grade. And proofs are always the very best there is. depending on how many they made of each they can do very well. Any way that's my 2 cents worth. Joe :D

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Generally, no they are not. But there have been a few exceptions.

5. pupa

pupa Senior Member

Like the 1999 silver proof set?

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's one of the examples. But now try finding just one from before that year.

7. skm06

skm06 Member

1995 & 1997 for starters, while nowhere near the 1999 increase, they haven't done too bad.

With that said, buying the sets with the intent on investment is risky at best, collect what you like.

8. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

For the gold proof sets, the mintages are very high for most of those so you are pretty much buying these for gold price speculation. Eventually most of these coins will start trading at a premium over the gold price but it will take many years. I would think you might be better trading in these for the modern gold commemorative series if possible [26 coins or more]. Even as such the sets are investments as you have the gold potential in them. The new UNC gold W sets will have more appreciation than the proof in all likelyhood so buy those.

The proof platinum sets in all years are excellent investments. I think you have the best modern series right there and it is a sleeper. Don't sell those and keep buying the sets each year, you might want the new UNC W sets too as those will even be more valuable. Get all the coins graded by PCGS. The real value in these will be if the mint ever stops making them, prices would double overnight.

The silver coins, you needed the 1995W silverto make it with those. Those coins won't go much higher than they are for some time though without silver prices increasing.

9. alhas

alhas Senior Member

CentDime:
    CentDime,
    What is the reason the UNC W will be more valuable than Proof's? Thanks!

10. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

Hi alhas,

I have done a lot of study on these coins lately, and have come to the conclusion that the Platinum w UNC are not the same as the bullion coins but are UNC versions of the proof coins. That may seem obvious because that is what they are, but if you look at the platinum bullion coins those aren't the same as the proof as the reverse is different.

So the platinum UNC w coins will be the ones to buy based on the general buying of the public in these types of coins. The best way to look at it is the commemorative series as I think those are what these coins will trade like. The mint makes two versions, proof and UNC. Everybody buys the proof buy less than half buy the UNC. Which coins in the modern Commemorative series are the ones that appreciated the most? The UNC because of the much smaller mintage.

The 2006 W UNC gold and platinum eagles had very small mintages this year relative to the proof. They were purchased just as the public buys the modern commemoratives, so it should follow that the ones to buy are the UNC versions. And it looks like to 2006W UNC are already appreciating to levels similar to what happens with the commemoratives.

My guess for this year is the 2007W UNC eagles will have a larger mintage than the 2006W, but not by a lot.
    The exception may be the 2007W silver eagle UNC, if they do 350,000 or so that coin will sell for higher than the 2006W.

11. alhas

alhas Senior Member

Hi CentDime, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

12. thotdoc

thotdoc New Member

I'm new at collecting.

For potential appreciation, what is the relative value of proof set versus a verified rated coin rated 69, by one of the major coin evaluators?

Thanks,

G

13. Danr

Danr Numismatist

Those reverse proofs in 2006 were ok.

14. skrilla

skrilla That Guy

For investment it's all about rarity (supply vs demand).

Proofs are typically not a good investment unless you plan to crack 'em out and send 'em in. Even then you aren't guaranteed to have anything good. I bought a 1962 proof set ($17 unopened) and the franklin is a nice cameo.... except for a small, but very noticeable metal bunch (looks terrible) on the reverse. The dime is probably a 67/8 but even though it is a cameo it would cost me $20 or so to get it graded which means I'm down $17 for the set + $20 (or more) for the grading. I'm now down $37 and I have to hope that someone wants to even buy a 63 cameo Roosevelt.

Modern proofs are made much better and typically grade well, but because of this you won't be able to get much unless you have either a very rare coin or PF70. Look around on Ebay for proofs (year)2000+ like state quarters. I bought a PF69 UC Maine quarter for my step brother's wife because she likes lighthouses, and it only set me back $6. That guy lost a bit of money on the deal unless he used a free grading from NGC. I could have obtained a 70 if I spent $20-30 more.

Also if you look at how many are in a certain grade, you will see more demand. Often times you see an MS66 wheat cent go for 20-30 for a common date, however an MS67 can go for several hundred on a common year because there are thousands of 66's but only 50 MS67.

The best place to check for this is on Ha.com they list the population in any grade fro PCGS and NGC, you want to look at the PCGS # and unfortunately there is a prejudice in this area as many times you will get significantly less money for NGC coins of the same grade even though they are the same or sometimes better quality graders. An example of what I mean is, you might see (making the date up, but the example is real) a 1956-d with a population of 37 in PCGS MS67 and a population of 53 in NGC and the NGC coin will sell for $56 while the PCGS coin will sell for $2000.

This is the speculation side and I'm only telling you so you know. Most non population based values are very similar for NGC and PCGS though some still require the latter and pay noticeable amounts more for them.

If it's for you, buy the coin, not the holder. If it's for $$$, buy the highest graded, rarest coins you can afford. Key dates are still the best investment (1916-d merc, 1909s VDB lincoln etc.) because it's less likely someone will find a bunch of them uncirculated in a bank vault somewhere and increase the grade population, driving down the value.

15. skrilla

skrilla That Guy

16. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Bullion coins purchased at bullion prices can make decent investments. Numismatic coins purchased at numismatic prices can also but with less certainty. Gold bullion prices have risen 7 years in a row. If they close above something like $837 this year, make it 8 in a row. There are no guarantees in life, especially in short time periods, but continued inflation and therefore continued higher prices for items like gold and silver seem like a high probability bet over the long run.

17. skrilla

skrilla That Guy

My apologies I forgot after reading a few posts that the OP was asking about bullion. I still feel my info is relevant for the investment side of the question, so I will leave it.

And here's a smiley that closely resembles this
    :eek:dd:
    "hey I saw you were asking for help, so I wanted to help and blah blah, oh... uh.. ya... What were we talking about?"

18. thotdoc

thotdoc New Member

skrilla-

Thank you for the reply. It was clear.remember I'm a newbie..and right to the point.

G

19. thotdoc

thotdoc New Member

Thanks- Cloudsweeper99. Good info

G

20. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I found this old thread because I was wondering about this as well. Who buys proof gold directly from the mint when it is so overpriced? Then it ends up being sold basically as bullion a few years later.

I could never imagine paying the huge premiums the Mint charges for their proofs, but plenty of people must, because then they end up at coin shops and online dealers for a few bucks over spot.

21. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The silver proof sets continue their mintage slide since their peek years in mid 2000's. Recently, they seem to be holding value with some nice wins in 2012 and 2016. When 2017 goes off sale on 31-December-2018, it may also see a bump in value as it will be the lowest selling silver proof set.

upload_2018-12-27_7-20-6.png

onecenter and LakeEffect like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted