World Coins ? ?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by tonphil1960, Nov 15, 2004.

1. tonphil1960

tonphil1960 Senior Member

Hi all, i am thinking about getting into World Gold, I know nothing about world coinage. From what I have seen it looks affordable. Any books, sites or dealers you can help me with?

thanks Tony

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

A man after my own heart :D

First of all - a bit of a warning. There are plenty - and I do mean plenty - of counterfeits out there. So be careful. And by all means - buy the books first ;)

I'd start with Gold Coins of the World 7th Edition by Arthur L. & Ira S. Friedberg. It's a bit pricey at $75 retail - but worth every dime if you wish to collect world gold. Now this book covers all nations from ancient times to the present day - but it is a generalized book. If and when you decide to collect a particular series or country - I can recommend a few other more specific volumes.

When you first start out, I would also strongly suggest buying slabbed coins. For if you change your mind - you will have a much easier time selling them as well as the peace of mind of buying authenticated coins.

If you can give me an idea of the area you wish to pursue and a price range - I'd be all too happy to recommend some dealers and web sites :D

4. tonphil1960

Area's?

Hi, I was thinking about just starting with a few from different countries, see how I like the World Coins. As for price,, as cheap as I can get them for.

thanks Tony

5. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Hey Tony, Always liked the shore more then the Hamptons or Fire Island, the straight beaches were the ones I did my shares at.As for world gold, do a search engine on world gold and look at the different countries for the gold that you like. Then decide if you want old gold or new gold and which or how many nations you want to collect from. A good website for viewing would be www.Pandaamerica.com . It was posted here once before and I am recommending it as well for viewing only. After you know exactly what you want and how much you want to spend then you should think about comparing dealers, which may or may not include Pandas, and their offerings. I am sure you could then get alot of leads thru private mail here as well. GD seems to be the most experience collecter here and has basically a collection that could be viewed in a museum. So if he is stating that one should be well read on the subject, take his advice. Coin collecting has a lot of rip off artists as does real estate agents, stock brokers, used car dealers, etc. So it is "let the buyer beware". Most collectors of world gold also have their own scales. Coin collecting also has alot of good people so when you do find your niche and your dealers, I suggest that you stay faithful as long as they are treating you good.

6. tonphil1960

Thanks

thanks all, i think I am going to go with certified only, 19th century. thanks for the input.
    yes I like the shore too...........

Tony

7. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Another one over to the wicked way of slabbing...

:(

8. tonphil1960

Slabs

I am going with the certified really because I want to be sure I am getting authentic coins. As I still have to learn the ins and outs of World Coins I figure it's the safest way to go. With the gold I don't mind the slab, with my silver and copper US stuff I like raw coins as I am collecting circulated coins.

Tony............

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Tony -

Here's what I suggest for to decide what ya like. Just go visit ebay - click on the World Coins section. Set the Sort by - selection to Newly Listed. Don't go any further stop right there. Then in the search window type in NGC and browse - make note of the series or designs you like. Then do the same with PCGS - ICG - ANACS.

Do this for about a week. That will expose you to enough coins and their cost for you to decide what you want to start with. After that - send me a PM or an email with what like and I'll tell you what dealers I use & trust for those coins ;)

10. tonphil1960

thanks

Yes thanks for the E bay tip, shoulda thought of that myself.

Tony

Draft saved Draft deleted