World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Bought it today for 67$. Very rare coin: Un baiocco 1789, copper, Pope Pius Sextus (1775-1799). Minted for an appeal in Gubbio city (pope's possession).

Attached Files:

• 127.jpg
      127.jpg
      File size:
      110.8 KB
      Views:
    • 128.jpg
      128.jpg
      File size:
      140.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Wow !!! Every last one of you scored some really grand coins.
    IMG_0848.jpg IMG_0847.jpg IMG_0846.jpg IMG_0845.jpg

Some cheap commie paper. I like the colors and motiff. North Korea (Fearless Leader money) & Pathet Lao. :p

4. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Russia Mint Set

Nice one Siberian Man, very cool design. I do not have any Papal coins in my collection, but something that may interest you, the other day at the coinshop, I checked the bids I had won from their little 'Bid Board' auction they have each week, and one thing I won was a 1992 St Petersburg and Moscow mint set.... this is what the diamond shaped, coin like, mint piece says as well as the info, is there a way to tell if these ones from 1992 were minted at St Petersburg or Moscow? or do they just mint them at both with the same dies? They have a really nice double headed eagle obverse.... and it comes in a really nice little folder/holder with info, and I only paid $3 USD for it, surprised I won actually for so low, but foreign mint sets at this shop sell cheap, I have some nice star of david specially minted Israel sets that I got for around $1 each a few years ago there..... and the most amazing deal on a set I ever got was for a 1974 Australian PROOF set, not a mint set like the others I am talking about, for only $3.25!!! these things were selling for $50USD and up on ebay even 5 years ago when I bought it....so that was a score, I still have it, I like it.

Ripley, I always like Laotian coins and paper money for some reason, they have an interesting sickle and hammer symbol, but are just interesting in general. I only have one note from there and its unc, but common, and a couple coins. Cool North Korean one too.... I have one coin from there, but what I think is cooler than my little NK coin is the actual AK 47 rifle bayonet from North Korea I have in perfect condition, with a low serial # 0252... a cool collectors piece.

here are some pics, not the best, I was in a hurry and my proper lighting setup is still down:

Attached Files:

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Well Rex, early Royal Laotian coinage is easy to collect for around the first 20 years 1952 - 1972 all the kips were dated 1952. They were made in Paris and the hole seems to have been put in as an after thought. The hole obscures the main feature instead of enhancing it. Here are a 20 & 50 Kip piece from my collection. :p
    IMG_1039.jpg IMG_1040.jpg IMG_1038.jpg IMG_1037.jpg

6. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

moneyer12;
    Thank you for your kind comment. I am a tough grader on all coins. I gave this a VF35 grade. Primarily because of the rim ding on the obverse at 1 o'clock, and the various circulation scratches in the left field. The reverse is XF with a little ware at center and one or two minor marks and scratches. Since the obverse has the heavier weight in carrying the grade, I went with the VF35.

7. petro89

petro89 Member

It is a silver coin. Beautiful coins everyone! I'm going to the local show Sunday so I'll be sure to post a few more :)

8. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Cool stuff on the Laotian coins, Ripley, I see what you mean.... the hole goes right through that woman's head! The Laotian coins I have are later, 10 and 20 Att Aluminum coins.

Have fun at the show petro89. I have alot of new coins that I have yet to photograph, some nice ones from Nicaragua, early 20th century, as well as others.

9. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I like the reverse of this .500 fine Cunuck Dollar, that came in yesterday with an American 1925 nickel. :)
    IMG_1167.jpg IMG_1168.jpg

capthank likes this.
  10. magicman58

magicman58 Junior Member

1935medalking.jpg egypt_ifos.jpg

i got it last weeks from coinshop in Bangkok and another from ebay
    i really like it ;]

11. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Can you tell me more about this medal and possibly what the insription means in English?

12. magicman58

magicman58 Junior Member

This Medal Is
    the OFFICIAL British medal commemorating the SILVER JUBILEEof KING GEORGE V of Great Britain in 1935.
    Dimensions/Specifics:
    -Issue Date: 1935
    -Purpose of issue: Official Silver Jubilee (25 years of reign)forKing George V.
    -Material: Silver(AE) medal.
    -Weight: .5 oz
    -Shape/Size: Round. 32 mm diameter.
    -Design:
    Obverse: Cojoined crownedbusts of George V and Mary, facing left. Legend:VI - MAII - MCMX - MCMXXXV.
    Reverse: Windsor Castle.Legend: STET FORTUNA DOMUS (May the fortune of the house last
    -Manufacturer/Issuer: Royal Mint.
    -Designer/Sculptor: Percy Metcalfe (initialed “PM†on reverse).
    -Number Issued: 167,743.

crown.jpg

This one from UK too ;]

Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
  13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Great. I have a medal with the same obverse device which is from Canada. I definately like yours better because yours is in silver & it has that great Windsor castle on the reverse.

14. Siberian Man

I got it today.
    50 centavos 1884. United States of Colombia.

Attached Files:

• 31.jpg
      31.jpg
      File size:
      106.4 KB
      Views:
    • 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      File size:
      96.2 KB
      Views:
  15. Siberian Man

Venesuela.
    One bolivar 1965, silver .835, 5 g.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      83.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      74.5 KB
      Views:
  16. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Here is something I picked up at the Chicago International Coin Show this past weekend. It matched my One Penny coin I posted earlier. It's the little sister to it, a Half Penny of the same year and Province. With all the foreign coins and dealers there, this was the one and only piece I could find. It matched close enough in grade and I was happy to get it. P1010307.jpg P1010322.jpg

capthank and Jason Hoffpauir like this.
  17. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Colombia - LEPER COLONY

Cool Colombian coin Siberian Man, I love that style, I also am a collector, or was a collector of the Venezuelan coins myself. As for Colombian coins I only have a few....

and saltysam Beautiful Nova Scotia coin, I have wanted one of that style ever since I first saw one.
    ------

These first two pics are from the Lazareto Leper Colony, dated 1921, dos centavos.... very cool coinage, I got this one in the 20 cent bin a while back, along with the next coin, which is a 1938 5 centavos.
    I know there are two varieties of the 1938 Colombia 5 centavos, I think mine is the rarer variety, but not sure. Anyone Know?

--------
    I will post a Venezuelan one I got recently along with some of my others from that country in my next post, let me know what you think of them all.

Attached Files:

18. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Colombia 1914 10 centavos

Oops almost forgot about this Colombian silver one I got a little while back.
    ---------------
    Next post will be Venezuelan.... I hope I can fit them all into one post.

Attached Files:

19. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

~ Venezuelan Silver Coins ~

----------
    -Okay, in the first photo here, is a 1935 Un Bolivar (5 grams) next to a 1900 5 Bolivares, the second photo is of the reverse of the 1900 5 Bolivares.

-Next is a pic of the reverse of a 1945 50 Centimos (Medio-Bolivar) (2.5 grams).

-Next is a pic of the reverse of a beautifully toned 1954 50 Centimos (Medio-Bolivar) (2.5 grams).

-The Next pics are of another 1954 50 Centimos (Medio-Bolivar), but a different one without any toning and in great shape, with just a tiny dark spot on the reverse at 10-11 o'clock.

You can see how they changed the design of the 50 Centimos (medio-Bolivar) between the 1945 and the 1954 issues I have posted, the 1945 doesn't have a denomination on the reverse, just weight, date and fineness of silver, the 1954 ones have all the same titles, along with the words '50 Centimos' The coat of arms is also a little less flashy, without the cornucopiae on top and branches on either side, and the writing on the scrolls below the coat of arms. I think I like the 1945 style more, but the 1954 style has a simple elegance about it..... so I like them all. I wish my 1900 5 Bolivares Crown was in better shape, but I got it for melt value about 7 years ago.
    --------
    --------
    Hope you South American collectors out there like them. :)

Attached Files:

20. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

here's a few foreign notes I picked up at the Whitman show last month.
    The Lisbon note is the first I've seen with imprinted scalloped edges on
    the reverse

1yugo10dinar_1.jpg
    1yugo 10dinar_2.jpg
    1banco ultamarino 100_1.jpg
    1banco ultamarino 100_2.jpg

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  21. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

got these iceland commems for $65. not exactly my first choice but i figured as long as i saw them why not. i noticed someone else already posted the 500 kronur. if it had included the 10000 kronur i probably wouldnt have bought it.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted