World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Where is the Greater Chicago Coin Show? I live in the northwest Chicago suburbs. I've been to Distinctive Coins once.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

It is a three day show held in the Tinley Park Convention Center. I-80 and Harlem Avenue. They had about 250 tables and 35% were from out of town. No major auction companies associate themselves with the event. However, ANACS and the Illinois Numismatic Association have booths along with some coin clubs. My guess is 60% U.S. coins, 20% world coins and 20% exonumia and paper currency. There is a large area for supply dealers. Almost everyone has some silver bullion now a days. I easily spent the whole day there.

4. Hiddendragon

I wasn't familiar with that one. I went to the Chicago International Coin Fair this year and was disappointed. The only dealer I bought from was Harlan Berk from Chicago. If I can't find world coins at the world coin fair then it seems I wouldn't have much luck at this one but who knows.

5. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I have made one purchase from Harlan Burk in Oak Park Chicago. Only because he had a large size Chicago Bank Note I need for my collection. I paid a strong price for it. Yes and no on world coins. When you do find them they are priced right. There were enough small dealers to make that happen. Plus, 250 tables to me is a genuine show. It has competition and good representation. I reduced my cost 30% by honest talk and not being a jackass. This is the third or fourth time I have Gone. I know you can do the same. Didn't we meet down at the FUN Show in Orlando or in Chicago at the ANA Money Show?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    Hiddendragon likes this.
  6. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

FCSUI1934B20R1.jpg FCSUI1934B20R2.jpg

jello, J.A.K., jj00 and 2 others like this.
  7. cletis faye

FCSUI1921B10R1.jpg FCSUI1921B10R2.jpg

J.A.K. and sonlarson like this.
  8. Hiddendragon

No, we didn't meet. I know a few guys on this board live in the Chicago area. I'll have to watch out for this one.

saltysam-1 likes this.
  9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Now that I doubt, but thanks. ;) One unwelcome side effect of this splitting-and-merging is that comments on earlier posts could (as in perhaps) not work any more. So if I simply wrote that "the coin in post #4321 is great", that may not make sense as the post number is a different one. But usually comments are made right or very shortly after a "new acquisition" post.

Also, several older images do not show. That does not have anything to do with restructuring the topic though - most of those are links to external sites. Those may or may not work these days ...

Christian

10. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Woke up at 3am to snag these from eBay. Not rarities but I liked em both. Not bad for under50$ shipped international. Unfortunately I can't load the other side but both side in similar condition.

$_1.JPG $_1 (1).JPG

11. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

This was also purchased at the Greater Chicago Coin Show. Kassel is in the Hesse area of Germany. Close to Gottingen, which is in Hesse as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    gronnh20, J.A.K., jj00 and 3 others like this.
  12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Nice piece, also because it refers to both the Prince Elector (Kurfürst) and the designated successor. :) The title and the country name are somewhat confusing: The Empire (Holy Roman E. of German Nation) ended in 1806, so the electors did not elect any emperor any more, but apparently liked and kept the name ...

The country (short version "Kurhessen") was annexed by Prussia in 1866. Today Hessen is one of the German states. And yes, Kassel is in (Northern) Hessen; Göttingen is in the neighboring state of Lower Saxony. Not far away indeed though.

Christian

saltysam-1 likes this.
  13. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nice grade
    :)

14. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Do what it takes. Nice score!
    :)

15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

German States Hesse-Cassel KM#590 1/6 thaler 1845, .855 silver, mintage-95,000
    grade/value
    F-$4.00 VF-$15.00 XF-$40.00 UNC.-$85.00
    not sure what your coins grade is ? XF-AU ? really nice coin.
    Krause values may differ from real life market values.

16. cletis faye

17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

18. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

In 1966 Barbados became independent from Great Britain. The $10 and $5 combine for a total of 2.0709 ounces of silver. This 1973 Proof set was the First year of Barbados coinage with a mintage of 97,454. I think the imagery and detail are awesome.

Barbados 1973 Proof Set.jpg

Effigy303, Aidan_(), jello and 4 others like this.
  19. Hiddendragon

I love that $10 coin.

spirityoda, cletis faye and sonlarson like this.
  20. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

China silver 20$ Each
    1912 Sichuan 50 cent (cleaned?), 1898 Anhui dollar, and 1910 Emperor Hsuan Tung Dollar (cleaned lightly).

$_3 (23).JPG $_3 (22).JPG $_3 (20).JPG $_3 (21).JPG $_3 (18).JPG $_3 (19).JPG

cletis faye, gronnh20, jello and 2 others like this.
  21. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

cletis faye, Hiddendragon and sgt23 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted