World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Happy Late Birthday to me! I have wanted an old crown with the dragon slaying so badly for the longest time. Today I found this in the Canadian Large Cents section and picked it up for $1 less than melt. The six pence was from the same seller for less then melt as well. They're both beat up but I'm happy :)
    Sellers Photos
    $_57.JPG $_57-1.JPG $_57-2.JPG $_57-3.JPG

chrsmat71, sonlarson, J.A.K. and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Some good (inadvertent) cherrypicks from my LCS for 18 cents each:

1916 Norway 5 Ore
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1930 Nicaragua 5 centavos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chrsmat71, sonlarson, J.A.K. and 6 others like this.
  4. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

5. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

A nice example of the scarce Colombian 1916 p/m (papel moneda) 1 peso struck to replace paper money during the civil war,

KM A279 Colombia 1916-AM 1 peso,

KM A279 Colombia 1916-AM peso p_m.jpg

6. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

1975 was the second year of the National coinage of Belize. Formally British Honduras, Belize was renamed in 1973. The Proof set had a mintage of only 8,794 and shows the tropical birds.
    $10: Great Curassow. $5: Keel-Billed Toucan. $1: Scarlet Macaw. 50 cents: Frigate Bird. 25 cents: Blue-Crowned Motmot. 10 cent: Long-Tailed Hermit. 5 cent: Fork-Tailed Flycatcher. 1 cent: Swallow-Tailed Kite.

Belize 1975 Proof Set.jpg

J.A.K., jj00, onecenter and 1 other person like this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

picked these up recently, always wanted one of the "spanish baby" coins. alfonso xiii, looks like he was 3 when the coin was struck.

[​IMG]

this was cheap, i didn't have a coin from latvia....

[​IMG]

8. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I picked up some interesting older coins from Swiss Cantons. 1814 St. Gall 1/2 bazen, 1796 Luzern 1 batzen, 1827 Freiburg 5 rappen and 1827 Freiburg 2 1/2 rappen. 1796 luzern.jpg 1814 st gall.jpg 1827 freiburg 2.5 rappen.jpg 1827 freiburg 5 rappen.jpg

sonlarson, J.A.K., jj00 and 3 others like this.
  9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Here are a few more I got today. The 1843 Greece 10 lepta I'm happy about because almost all Greek coins from the 1800s are hard to come by. I think the Vatican coin is pretty and the Colombian one has a nice design, and is a nice heavy chunk of silver. 1843 greece 10 lepta.jpg 1900 spain 1 peseta.jpg 1922 colombia 50 centavos.jpg 1947 vatican 10 lire.jpg

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

In case anybody wonders about the topic title and the number of posts: See here.

11. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Here's one I got as a bulk silver purchase long ago and just got graded. Not bad for under 5$

Chris

mmexport1434152661993.jpg

spirityoda, jj00, cletis faye and 2 others like this.
  12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

can see the other side of this coin (pic).

13. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Sorry Don't have the other side on this phone

14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Would like to get a second opinion on attribution. Erfurt Germany, 1/24 thaler, Krause 41? My world coin catalog only goes back to 1701. This is dated 1622 (16zz). I did the research off the internet, but the picture didn't seem to be an exact match?

Attached Files:

sonlarson and chrsmat71 like this.
  15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have the 17th century Krause catalog KM#41 looks like your 2nd pic but not your 1st pic. KM#41 1/24 thaler(groschen) metal-silver, obverse: helmeted wheel arms, another wheel above helmet, date in legend. reverse: wheel arms in ornamented shield. Z4 above. note:varieties exists
    grade/value
    16ZZ - VG-$12.00 F-$25.00 VF-$45.00 XF-$90.00
    1622- same values
    not sure what grade your coin is ??? Krause values may differ from real life market values.
    very cool early date coin. I am guessing it is the variety version ?
    curious where you got this coin ? if to personal you need not tell me.
    there are 2 of these that look like yours on Ebay now.. link: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2051337.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1622 Erfurt Germany, 1/24 thaler.TRS0&_nkw=1622 Erfurt Germany, 1/24 thaler&_sacat=256

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  16. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

spirityoda:

My new daughter-in-law grew up in Gottingen, as did her entire family for generations. It's about 50-60 miles northwest of Erfurt. I'm trying to put together a coin collection from her area. I saw and purchased this piece at the Greater Chicago Coin Show yesterday. It was from Distinctive Coins of Downers Grove, a local dealer. It must be a variety as you said. It didn't match up to the pictures from the Krause catalog I saw on line. My main goal is to get the thaler from Gottingen itself. None are available in the market at present. I'm starting to contact as many dealers as I can.

spirityoda likes this.
  17. sonlarson

Thank you Christian, you're the best.

chrisild likes this.
  18. sonlarson

Continuing with the Caribbean Islands Proofs.
    1972 Cayman Islands. Mintage 10,757. The 5,2, and 1 Dollar combine for 2.4668 Ounces of Silver. World Silver Proof Coins, What could be better.

Cayman Islands 1972 Proof Set.jpg

J.A.K., onecenter and cletis faye like this.
  19. sonlarson

Next is the 1974 Jamaica Proof Set. Mintage 22,026. The big $10 is 1.2728 ounces of Silver and the $5 is 0.6044 for 1.9168 combined.
    The $10 commemorates Sir Henry Morgan who was Lieutenant Governor of Jamaica.
    The $5 shows Norman W. Manley, the first Premier of the nation. The $1 shows Sir Alexander Bustamante, the first Prime Minster. The rest show plant and animals. This set was removed from the protective plastic and is now showing some nice toning.

Jamaica 1974 Proof Set.jpg

J.A.K., onecenter, spirityoda and 2 others like this.
  20. sonlarson

Moving along to the 1977 Cook Island Proof Set. Mintage very low 5,986. It has the infamous fertility god so hide the children. Not much silver, the $5 is only 0.4388 ounces.

Cook Island 1977 Proof Set.jpg

21. sonlarson

Waiting on Barbados to arrive. I think that will be the last of the Caribbean Islands unless I can locate something unique. I am thinking of moving the search to Central and South America. Mexico proofs are scarce and very expensive. I am looking at a commemorative proof set and might settle for that as a example. In the meantime here is a 1964 Mexico Mint Set. Mintage unknown.

Mexico 1964 Mint Set.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted