World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago is a small island about 7 miles off the coast of Venezuela. It declared independence from the West Indies in 1962. This is a Proof set commemorating the 10th anniversary of Independence. The $10 is 1.0408 .oz of Silver and the $5 is 0.8832 .oz. Almost 2 ounces combined. Mintage is 13,874. The $5 has some cloudiness due to being held captive in the soft mint plastic sleeve. The rest of the coins are spotless. I think the $10 is going to be one of my favorite World Silver Coins. Just look at the details. Sailfish, Dolphin, a ship, and I going to guess, Neptune blowing. I love this set.

1972 Trinadad and Tobago proof set.jpg

lordmarcovan, jj00, J.A.K. and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice grabs rooman9 & H8.

4. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Picked up another Prussian, a silver 1907 Two Mark

1907 German States Prussia Two Marks Rev MS63.JPG 1907 German States Prussia Two Marks Obv MS63.JPG

cletis faye, jello, Effigy303 and 3 others like this.
  5. sonlarson

6. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Thanks sonlarson:)

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

my new coin... 2011 Faroe Islands 50 kronur, Ram, animal wildlife, tri-metallic coin. I realize it might be fantasy coinage not meant for circulation, but I have always wanted a tri-metallic coin. sellers pics...
    $_57trimetallic1.JPG
    $_57 (8)trimetaliic2.JPG

lordmarcovan, jello and sonlarson like this.
  8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Right, the Faroes have their own paper money - basically Danish kroner with different designs. The coins are the regular Danish pieces though. Fantasy, but a nice one. :)

Christian

spirityoda likes this.
  9. sonlarson

Here is another Tri-Metallic from the same region. A 2010 50 Kroner fantasy coin from Greenland. Maybe there was some design competition in that region at the time. I like the Ram's head.. I wonder if Iceland produced one.

2010 Greenland 50 Kroner.jpg

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

There had been plans, roughly between 2006 and 2010, to issue "Greenland specific" DKK banknotes, much like what the Faroe Islands have. No coins though.

The Danish central bank had even asked the artist Naja Abelsen to design the notes. But she did not meet the deadlines, and Miki Jacobsen from Nuuk/Godthåb got the job. In January 2010 however the newly elected Parliament of Greenland informed the Danish government that it "wishes to reconsider" the issue. And that was it.

So maybe the (private) issuer of this 50 kr pattern had all this in mind, and saw a potential market. :) A trimetallic design would certainly be a nice idea ...

Christian

spirityoda, sonlarson and jello like this.
  11. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

Sonlarson, I just passed up that same Trinidad 10 dollar proof coin today, for my Virgin islands coin i got instead. will post it soon.

12. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

I just won this coin today, it is part of an endangerd wildlife series of coins that quite a few countries participated in during the 70's. most of the countries made 2 silver and 1 gold coin featuring different animals, most mintage around 15 to 30 thousand. I have two of the other coins, and this is my third. 1973 British Virgin Islands 1 Dollar silver proof featuring the magnificent frigate bird. bvi2.JPG bvi1.JPG

13. JGusta77

JGusta77 Member

One of my recent purchases, a 1967 Mexico Peso of Maximilian.
    There's nothing like holding one of these big circulated crowns and thinking of all the history it represents. It's the reason I started collecting coins.

FullSizeRender (41).jpg
    FullSizeRender (42).jpg

J.A.K., spirityoda, chrisild and 4 others like this.
  14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

very cool coin. I always wanted 1 of these but they get crazy expensive in higher grades

15. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

Some cool silver/Billon German coins.

1781-B 3 Kreuzer - German State - Silesia
    1808-G 4 Groschen - German State - Prussia
    1913-A Drei Mark - German State - Prussia
    1934-E Germany 5 Reichsmark

silasiaf.JPG siesiab.JPG prussiaf.JPG prussiab.JPG napf.JPG napb.JPG gmchf.JPG gmchb.JPG

16. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

Nice old German Copper coins.

1761- F - 3 Pfennig - German State - Wismar
    1775 - 1 Guter Phenn - German State - Schaumburg - Hessen
    1762 - 6 Pfennig - German State - Munster

schaumburgfront.JPG schaumburgback.JPG munsterf.JPG munsterb.JPG wismarfront.JPG wisemarb.JPG

17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

cletis faye likes this.
  18. JGusta77

JGusta77 Member

Yeah; I know what you mean with the pricing on these. I'd like to get one in AU condition at some point and am willing to wait for the "right" one. Happy with this one in the meantime though. I had my eye out for one with decent detail, toning, and nice rims.

spirityoda likes this.
  19. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice haul, 49ers

jello likes this.
  20. sonlarson

1986 Mint set from Sweden. Mintage 54,890. Hard plastic case with lots of scratches make for poor photos. Coins are actually bright and clear 1986 Sweden Mint Set.jpg . Very expensive, cost me $2.27.

21. sonlarson

Showed an 1974 Mint set from Switzerland previously and really wanted to find a nice Proof set. This is an 1987 with a very low mintage of 8,800. I wish the case was not sealed. I would really like to open up and take some nice pics without the small scratches on the plastic. This one is nice.

1987 Switzerland Proof Set.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted