World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Picked up a 2012 £10 London Olympic Silver Commemorative from the Royal Mint (UK). It's a 5oz 99.9% silver hockey puck, but I rather like the design & low mintage numbers. This one is slabbed MS70, and was one of the first 1,000 minted.

Original list price at the Royal Mint was £525 (not sure how much of an additional premium the slabbed first strikes carried). I did edit the photos to hide the slab barcode / number.

onecenter, cletis faye and jello like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I just traded for a pair of New Zealand half penny from WW2 hard date to get in this grade. 20150513_214825-1.jpg 20150513_214744-1-1.jpg 20150513_214640-1-1.jpg 20150513_214557-1.jpg
    I have two more in same grade looking for a home from my upgrades

4. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

norway-10-kroner-1985.jpg norway-10-kroner-1985 (1).jpg Norway. Moms friend from Norway sent me this

jj00, J.A.K., onecenter and 3 others like this.
  5. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

1967 Canada Proof-Like Set. Mintage 961,887. This is the one that comes in what Canada calls Pliofilm. Hard to take photos through, but has done a good job protecting the coins from tarnishing. One of my favorite circulating series from Canada.

1967 Canada Mint Set.jpg

6. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Nothing too exciting but I like them. The scratch on the rupee is sad but I've wanted one for a while. The Cuban peso doesn't look as bad as the close up photo makes it appear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cletis faye, jello, jj00 and 5 others like this.
  7. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Another Napoleon pickup
    $_57-1.JPG $_57.JPG

8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

This isn't a new pickup but it's freshly back from NGC and the first time I've attempted to photograph it. This is my favorite coin from the Hungarian set I've been working on: Uncirculated Hungarian Types of the Austro-Hungarian Compromise (1867-1918).

1 Korona 1896KB (Körmöcbánya) Hungarian Millenium Commemorative
    KM# 487 (1896) Lettered Edge
    0.835 Silver 5g 23mm
    NGC MS62

This coin is a commemorative issue celebrating the Hungarian Millenium (896-1896). It's a relatively inexpensive coin, but very tough to find in uncirculated grades.

The obverse features Ferencz Jozsef I wearing the Holy Crown of Saint Stephen. The legend "Az Ezeréves Magyarország Emlékére" translates to "Commemorating a Thousand Years of Hungary". The lettered edge of the coin reads "Bizalmam Az Ősi Erényben" which translates to "Faith in the Ancient Virtues".

The spectacular relief on the reverse is a depiction of Grand Prince Árpád and the Magyars entering the Carpathian Basin in 896.

[​IMG]

Millenium Commemorative Korona Presentation Box (1896)
    40mm diameter, 13mm tall
    Textured red cardboard with a burgundy fabric interior

This is the original presentation box manufactured for this commemorative in 1896. Surviving examples are exceptionally rare, especially with the color intact like this one has, as they tend to oxidize to a dark brown color. The text on the box lid reads "Milleniumi Korona-érem 1896" which best translates to "Millenium Commemorative Korona 1896". The text on the bottom of the box reads "David Karoly Es Fia - Dobozgyara - Budapesten" which translates to "David Karoly and Son - Boxmakers of Budapest".

[​IMG]

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

what an amazing coin. you have me curious ...what is the grade ?

Jaelus likes this.
  10. Jaelus

It's in the post. NGC MS62. It looks nicer in hand, but the obverse has some light hairlines that aren't visible without magnification.

This coin is my favorite, and the one that got me started with this type set. The type set has 3 commems of which I have two, but this is the only one I have the presentation box for.

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

dohhhh now i see it. lol

12. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Super nice Korona!

Jaelus likes this.
  13. rooman9

14. Jaelus

Here's the other commemorative from my Uncirculated Hungarian Types of the Austro-Hungarian Compromise (1867-1918) type set. I picked it up about a month ago but I finally got around to photographing it for the first time tonight. This is a HUGE coin with some great toning.

5 Korona 1907KB (Körmöcbánya) Hungarian Coronation Anniversary Commemorative
    KM# 489 (1907) Lettered Edge
    0.900 Silver 24g 36mm

This coin celebrates the 40th anniversary of the coronation of King Ferencz Jozsef I (1867-1907).

The obverse features a wreathed bust of Ferencz Jozsef I, while the reverse depicts his coronation with the Holy Crown of Saint Stephen. The obverse lists the King's titles (abbreviated). The reverse reads "Megkoronaztatasanak Negyvenedik Evfordulojara" which just means 40th Anniversary of the Coronation.

This coin had a very low mintage ~300k and came with a presentation box, but I have not been able to track one down yet.

NGC MS62

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's another of a 3 year type 2 Korona.

2 Korona 1913KB (Körmöcbánya)
    KM# 493 (1912-1914) Lettered Edge
    0.835 Silver 10g 27mm

NGC MS63
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's another coin from my type set that I just got back from NGC.

10 Filler 1894KB (Körmöcbánya)
    KM# 482 (1892-1914) Reeded Edge
    Nickel 3g 19mm

The obverse depicts the Holy Crown of Saint Stephen with the legend "Magyar Kiralyi Valtopenz". I'm not sure how to best translate this as a literal translation would not make sense. Perhaps "Hungarian Royal Monetary Authority" would make the most sense.

NGC MS65

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe I should make a thread dedicated to my progress in this typeset now that I've got a photography setup. I've still got quite a few of the easier types to track down, then it will slow down considerably.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

those angels are amazing.

16. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

1759 Netherlands (Holland) 1/4 Gulden, 5 Stuivers, now my oldest world coin...

1759 Netherlands Holland 1 Quarter Gulden_ 5 Stuiver Obv.JPG 1759 Netherlands Holland 1 Quarter Gulden _ 5 Stuiver Rev.JPG

17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

silentnviolent and jj00 like this.
  18. rooman9

I don't believe you Jello. I peg you at 20-23.

19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1950 is my birth year. I am a ole one Who Wishes he was 23!!!!!

¤ I could have some good times <×>

spirityoda, rooman9 and cletis faye like this.
  20. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

OG
    or
    OD been my lifestyle at Times
    :)

silentnviolent likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted