World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Finally got around to processing photos of my pre-CSNS purchase. This fills a hole in my prime number set.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I picked up a couple new coins for my colonial Mexican portrait 8 reales type collection (1772-1822).

First is a scarce transitional type:
    1790Mo (Mexico City) FM
    "Carolus IV" bust of Carolus III
    KM# 107 (1789-1790)

This is an example of the earlier of two briefly minted Carolus III/IIII transitional 8 Reales types. The bust of Carolus III was used on both types as a placeholder as the Carolus IIII bust would not be ready for use until the issues of 1791. On this type, the legend was updated to read "Carolus IV". This type was minted from the latter half of 1789 through the early half of 1790, after which the legend was updated to "Carolus IIII".

NGC XF45
    (seller pics)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second is an 1809Mo (Mexico City) TH
    Ferdinand VII Armored 8R
    KM# 110 (1808-1811)

I think these portrait dollars generally look very attractive in XF45, but this type just doesn't wear well in my opinion so I wanted to pick up a choice AU. While weakness in the crown and shield is common for this series, I've never seen a fully struck example of this type. The strike on this coin is about as nice as they come, with a great strike on the head and especially on the pillars.

NGC AU58
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cletis faye, Effigy303, jj00 and 6 others like this.
  4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Just bought this. Cheapest one I've seen for a while. I really like the design but so does everyone else. Makes them hard to get decently priced. But Monday morning looks like a great time :) Looks like it has maybe been cleaned.
    $_57-2.JPG $_57-3.JPG

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats really cool!

Nice 8 reales Jaelus.

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I like the bee mint mark. :cool:

rooman9 likes this.
  7. Jaelus

Here are my latest pickups over the last few weeks for my Hungarian set: Uncirculated Hungarian Types of the Austro-Hungarian Compromise (1867-1918).

1 Forint 1869KB
    KM# 449 (1868-1869) Lettered Edge
    0.900 Silver 12.35g 29mm
    NGC MS63

This two-year type is the first of 5 types of the 1 Forint silver, and the only one to feature this reverse. The obverse features the young bust of Ferencz Jozsef with the legend "Csaszar" (emperor). The reverse features the small coat of arms of Hungary with two angels supporting the Holy Crown of Saint Stephen and the legend "Magyar Orszag Ap. Kiralya" (King of the Country of Hungary).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20 Francs/8 Forint 1880KB
    KM# 467 (1880-1890) Reeded Edge
    0.900 Gold 6.45g 21mm
    NGC MS64

This dual denomination coin (20 Francs/8 Forint) is the second of three types issued between 1870 and 1892. This type (KM# 467) features an updated, slightly older bust of King Jozsef Ferencz on the obverse, with the same reverse as the first type (KM# 455). The coat of arms on the reverse is the early middle coat of arms of the Kingdom of Hungary, in use from 1867-1882. The central shield is the small coat of arms of Hungary, surrounded by the coat of arms for (clockwise from the top left) Croatia, Dalmatia, Transylvania, and Slavonia. The arms are capped by the Holy Crown of Saint Stephen. The legend of the reverse reads "Magyar Kiralysag" (Kingdom of Hungary).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20 Francs/8 Forint 1891KB
    KM# 477 (1890-1892) Reeded Edge
    0.900 Gold 6.45g 21mm
    NGC MS63

This dual denomination coin (20 Francs/8 Forint) is the third of three types issued between 1870 and 1892. This type (KM# 477) features the same obverse as the second type (KM# 467), with an updated reverse. The new coat of arms on the reverse is the middle coat of arms, in use from 1882-1915. The central shield is the small coat of arms of Hungary, surrounded by the coat of arms for (clockwise from the top left) Dalmatia, Croatia, Transylvania, Fiume, and Slavonia. The arms are capped by the Holy Crown of Saint Stephen, which is engraved taller and more elaborately than on the second type above. The legend of the reverse reads "Magyar Kiralysag" (Kingdom of Hungary).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20 Korona 1899KB
    KM# 486 (1892-1915) Lettered Edge
    0.900 Gold 6.78g 21mm
    NGC MS63

This is the first of two Jozsef Ferencz 20 Korona types. The obverse features a standing King Jozsef Ferencz with the crown jewels of Hungary. The middle coat of arms, in use from 1882-1915 is flanked on the reverse by a pair of angels. The central shield is the small coat of arms of Hungary, surrounded by the coat of arms for (clockwise from the top left) Dalmatia, Croatia, Transylvania, Fiume, and Slavonia. The arms are capped by the Holy Crown of Saint Stephen. The legend of the reverse reads "Magyar Kiralysag" (Kingdom of Hungary).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

man, those are beauties!

spirityoda and cletis faye like this.
  9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

This 1937 Irish half crown that I just got in the mail today completes my 20th century Irish set. Ireland issued coins from 1928 to 2000, though not every year. Many of the coins throughout the years have mintages in six figures or less, so they can be hard to track down. This is the rarest half crown in the series and I had to pay more than I like for a coin to complete the set. Technically there are two or three ultra rare coins that I don't have but they are just beyond my resources. So this joins the 20th century Greek set as series that I have completed. Scan.jpg Scan2.jpg

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

OMG those are beauties. wow ! :jawdrop:

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Beauties indeed!

12. Jaelus

Thanks for the compliments. This was my first attempt at photographing gold and the lighting was definitely tricky.

The 1899 20 Korona is my favorite design of any gold coin, but the 1880 is the nicest of the bunch; simply stunning in hand with great color.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Mat likes this.
  13. rooman9

Latest pickup. Seller's pics. Really like the design. Hopefully upgrade to a nicer one in the future.
    $_57-1.JPG $_57.JPG

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

rooman9 likes this.
  15. rooman9

I agree. Look up some of the BU ones. Those are just gorgeous!

spirityoda likes this.
  16. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Added another proof set to the collection. 1971 was the year Ireland converted to Decimal coinage. Mintage 50,000. Pics look bad as usual when taken through the old soft plastic mint sleeves, but coins are great. Also picked up a couple of silver bullion coins for my World Silver Collection.

1971 Ireland Proof set.jpg 2015 Isle of Man Angel.jpg 2015 Nuie Turtle.jpg

spirityoda, GeorgeM, J.A.K. and 5 others like this.
  17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

1939 Canada 50 cents...sellers pics...
    $_57zzzzzzzzzzdvdvdvdvdvdvffffff.JPG
    $_57tttttbecscscsdmnjkl.JPG
    $_57asxdcfgkjkjmxc.JPG

18. rooman9

Today's pickup. Wanted a coin from when Napoleon ruled but they're always pricey. Saw this beat up junk for $2. So I got it. 1808A. I can honestly say that I have learned more history from coins and the resulting research than I ever did in History class.
    $_57.JPG $_57-1.JPG

Effigy303, jj00, J.A.K. and 4 others like this.
  19. BaconSlayer

BaconSlayer Active Member

Latest acquisition, an 1866 Prussian 2 1/2 Silber Groschen.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Very nice score AU nice color and surface !
    :)

BaconSlayer likes this.
  21. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Boy that puppy's been around!

rooman9 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted