wierd rim on dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by mgChevelle, Dec 22, 2008.

1. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

its probably nothing, but the rim on this dime is tapered. i just thought it looked funny. any explaination to what caused this. the tapering is even, all the way around, and on both sides.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sketcherpbr

sketcherpbr Enthusiast

weeeeeird. that's pretty interesting. i'm sure someone here could give an explanation.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Almost looks beveled. How 'bout a head on shot?

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I can't tell for sure from your pics and I am not knocking them, but I think that I am seeing machining lines on the bevel. Tht is the only way I can think of that the bevel could have occurred.

6. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

This could be a partial collar strike if the rim has a rail road rim it might be I would suggest you take a full shot of the coin as well as a better rim shot then i can make an accurate assesment of your coin. Do e's your coin look like any one of these coins I zoomed in to see your coin yes it's a partial collar strike great find

Jazzcoins Joe

Attached Files:

7. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

i will work on better pics. thanks. the tapering is at about a 45 degree angle (if that helps any).

8. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Real bizarre. I was thinking partial collar, and then I read jazzcoins' post. That's how I'm leaning.

Neat in any case.

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Jazz, maybe you could enlighten me. What are the similarities between you coins and the op's? You blank rim sticks out, his is beveled inward. Yours looks almost porous, his looks shiny or machined. Your coins have an end to the reeding while his reeding appear to have been cut in half.

10. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Well the first coin is the op's coin i turned it over to show you the simularity in these coins now it's facing down, with the reeded side down and the flat side up. The second coin is my example of a pareial collar coin now you can see the simularities . i hope this helps you and enlightens you my friend
    Thank you Jazzcoins Joe

Attached Files:

11. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

heres some more pictures

heres some more.

Attached Files:

12. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

if these are bad pics i have an explaination.

i put the camera on super macro and the pics still dont come out good, so i put the camera over the magnifying glass with the coin under it and snap the picture, these are the best pictures i can get. does any one else do this

Attached Files:

Sley likes this.
  13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Absolutely not. You addressed none of my points and it brings another dissimilarity to light. Your coin has a wider than normal rim while the op's is much narrower than normal.

BTW, mgChevelle, I think those are excellent pics. Necessity is the mother of invention.

14. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Well what do you think it is if it isn;t a partial collar strike it has all the simularities as a partial collar strike a RAIL ROAD RIM IS PRESENT ALSO. BY THE OPS PICS ANYWAY I believe this is a partal collar strike
    JAZZCOINS JOE

Attached Files:

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

In post #4 I said machined. I have seen nothing to tell me anything else. If you were to explain to me how a partial collar could cause the uncollared part to be reduced in diameter and beveled (rather than increased and pillowy as in your examples), then I might believe you explanation.

16. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

lets see what others have to say with these two pics i posted. the ops coin is the first one ,and the second coin is an authentic partial collar strike Do you think the second coin is machined?
    Jazzcoins Joe

Attached Files:

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am a lousy artist, so please excuse my artwork. Your coin (cut away) is on the left and the op's coin is on the right. The existing reeding is on the bottom for both cases. Aside from the location of the reeding, I see no similarities to the resulting coins.

Attached Files:

18. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

jazzcoins joe, the difference to me is that on your coin the rim seems like it overlaped to the side where the reeding is. on my coin, the rim seems beveled on both sides and comes to a really thin reeded side.

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Rim, Do you believe that the OP's coin was machined and not indeed an error? From what I'm beginning to see, with the better pics, it looks as though someone took a grinder to the coin.

20. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

no disrespect towards you jazzcoins joe, but rlm seems to have it. but any ides as to what caused this? the only thing i might change is this.

Attached Files:

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Without having the coin in hand, I cannot tell machined versus a grinder, but I do not believe that it is an error.

Draft saved Draft deleted