Why is the Sakakawea not considered a Commemorative?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lemmyk, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Lemmyk

Lemmyk Senior Member

With all of the new Pres. dollars released but not exactly in circulation is the mint going forth with this new program they have not released one since 2000, yes I know the answer..MONEY.Below from Numismatic News

Senate takes up new Sac reverses
    By David L. Ganz

Legislation calling for annual commemoration of American Indians on the reverse of circulating Sacagawea dollar coinage passed the House of Representatives June 12 and action now shifts to the Senate.

“Important contributions made by Indian tribes and individual Native Americans to the development of the United States and the history of the United States” is called for by in bill H.R. 2358.

This parallels S. 585, the Native American Dollar Coin Act, which would also require the secretary of the Treasury to mint and issue coins in commemoration of Native Americans.

The Sacagawea design, renamed “Sakakawea design” would be used together with supplementary concurrently struck designs.

“Each design for the reverse of the $1 coins issued during each year shall be emblematic of 1 important Native American or Native American contribution each year.”

One caveat: “in the case of a design depicting the contribution of an individual Native American to the development of the United States and the history of the United States, shall not depict the individual in a size such that the coin could be considered to be a ‘two-headed’ coin.”

The motif would start in 2008, unless the legislation passes after July 1 of this year, in which case the first newly designed coins would be designated 2009 in their year of mintage.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Why is the Sakakawea not considered a Commemorative?

Answer:
    'cause no one gives a damn.

4. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

...and that aint how you spell it. :p

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sacagawea (Sakakawea, Sacajawea, Sacajewea) (c. 1787 – December 20, 1812; see below for other theories about her death) was a Shoshone woman who accompanied the Corps of Discovery with Meriwether Lewis and William Clark in their exploration of the Western United States, traveling thousands of miles from North Dakota to the Pacific Ocean between 1804 and 1806. She was nicknamed Janey by some members of the expedition."

So, lets call it a Janey from now on..its also easier to spell.

6. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

Perhaps you were also on the expedition with her :D

7. Lemmyk

Lemmyk Senior Member

Gopher, I agree it ain't how I spell it either. They are changing the spelling (Polital correctness I assume) it is stated in the legislation:

The Sacagawea design, renamed “Sakakawea design” would be used together with supplementary concurrently struck designs.

And my whole point is that what a joke the whole program is, since they don't release them, the Kennedy halves are getting to that point as well.

So my point was that of total sarcasm of another US Mint Program. :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted